Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Default Ejector causing jam?

3.18 Inland, dead original rifle. Has a problem with the round in the right side of the magazine jamming right above the chamber. We noticed only the right side round. Recoil spring is ok, and did it with multiple mags. Bolt is clean, inside and out. Starting to suspect that possibly the ejector could be the problem. Has the later, cone shape one installed. Have found the 3 sided ejectors always work. Ejector Spring too stiff? Like I said, only thing on the right side of the bolt is the ejector. Anyone seen this?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Yea, Junk, That is what you get buying those "dead original" wore out carbines. Call me.
What I would do first, is change out the magazine for one you know works.
If that does not fix it, change out the bolt for one you know works.
If that works you know there is something with the bolt.
Assuming you can move the ejector and extractor with a screw driver to be sure they move free.
You take it apart clean and oil and put it back together.

Last edited by 6 Ring; 12-28-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Banned

I would defiantly change ejector and extractor springs first. Possible worn or defective extractor.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:01 PM

I had a NPM years ago that would not eject cleanly and would trap the spend case with the bolt on the reloading stroke.

Turns out my extractor had sheared off half of the outer lip. Worked fine with hand function check, but when firing would not hold the case to the bolt face for the ejector to do its job.

www.RCArms.com

My Facebook Business Page: RCArms

My Facebook Blog Page: Milsurpcollector

NRA Life Member
GCA Member
US Army Veteran
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 PM

Well, thought to update this a bit, know it is old! Went to the range, and sure enough, usually on the 13th or 14th round, only on the right side round, round is stripped and bullet hits above the chamber. I pushed it back down, held the mag up with my palm, chambered fine. Extracted the round, and tried to rechamber not holding the mag. Jammed again. So, what is the correlation here? Only the last 3 rounds, right side only, jam. Holding the magazine fixes it. Does have original mag catch for a 3.18 Inland. Suspect something other than magazines, since multiple mags cause this, along with various brands of ammo.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM

I would try a new magazine catch.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM

Yea, was thinking the same thing. It just does not look worn at all though. Also crossed my mind to put a bit of tape on a magazine to hold it in tighter, as an experiment.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
I would try a new magazine catch.

+1

You can also check the locking lugs on the rear of the magazines as these wear out. Should measure at least 1.5" from the bottom of the locking lug to the top of the rear feed lip. Anything less then 1.5"could be a problem.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM

The issue is the Magazine catch. It has worn on the right side and causes the mag to drop just enough to mis-align everything. (Either that or your whole TR is sitting crooked on the receiver legs!) That is why holding the mag fixes it. I would actually recommend a M-2 catch with the side latch and a fresh Korean 30-rd mag if you can find one - at least for testing. That will allow you to "get past" the 14-15 rd level and give you enough rounds to really exercise the rest of the extraction function.

Oh and a new mag catch spring doesn't hurt either. Amazing what a few dollars worth of parts and springs will do for a 70 year old workhorse.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the replies here. I will try a mag catch, and save the old one for "show". Extractor and extractor spring is new, and work great when they have to work.