Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 PM

In the first world war McArthur lead his troops in an assault across no-man's land armed only with a swagger stick. I doubt he'd have a carbine for this invasion.

McArthur was a supreme prima-donna, but this photo was actually accidental. The beach master would not allow the VIPs to land in the main area and diverted McArthur off to the side. The Great General was very steamed that it was so shallow his craft ran aground short of the beach and he had to wet his pants to get ashore. After he saw the photo he realized he was lucky because it looked much better that way. If looks could kill that beach-master would have died on the spot. That's what I read in a book so it must be true.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 AM

Back in the early 1970s I had the pleasure of knowing a retired army sergeant-major with over 30 years service. He remarked that he had seen Ridgeway's grenades close up and said the pins were bent back around so far that there was no way they could ever be pulled out except with pliers and a few minutes to work on them.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM

You can see that in the first photo, unlike the second there is no tape around the spoon. Also in the second as a 4 star he is wearing a .45 pistol and note the Admiral has no arms.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM

I am no longer surprised when midgets delight at stepping on Supermans cape.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Travlin is correct about the Leyte photo of dougout doug.

Infantry Company Cdrs are issued pistols, but at LTs we all carried rifles.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacMike View Post
Travlin is correct about the Leyte photo of dougout doug.

Infantry Company Cdrs are issued pistols, but at LTs we all carried rifles.
True, but as an Infantryman you need to qualify with a rifle at some point prior to reaching the rank of CPT. I sure did.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Default "General" Marksmanship

According to Wikipedia Gen. MacArthur earned the Expert Badge with Rifle and Pistol bars. I think research would indicate most U.S. flag officers have had marksmanship training during their careers.

jc4350
Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Default MacArthur's Carbine

For what it is worth;
I am a retired Army Major General and I know the ground rules that have applied for Generals arming themselves since at least 1976.
- They will be personally armed with an Army issued semiautomatic pistol in all potential combat situations.
- They are permitted (by regulation that omitted any prohibitions to carry) to arm themselves with whatever additional arms they consider appropriate for the threat.

Translated into English, I carried my issued .45 cal Colt 1911 on my hip but really relied on my Ithaca riot shotgun.

It is amazing how quiet a noisy jungle gets afer a blast or two from a 12 ga Ithaca!

Vince
Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trublu6 View Post
For what it is worth;
I am a retired Army Major General and I know the ground rules that have applied for Generals arming themselves since at least 1976.
- They will be personally armed with an Army issued semiautomatic pistol in all potential combat situations.
- They are permitted (by regulation that omitted any prohibitions to carry) to arm themselves with whatever additional arms they consider appropriate for the threat.

Translated into English, I carried my issued .45 cal Colt 1911 on my hip but really relied on my Ithaca riot shotgun.

It is amazing how quiet a noisy jungle gets afer a blast or two from a 12 ga Ithaca!

Vince
General. Thank you for your years of service.

This is the riot shotgun we carried in Korea back in the early '60s on guard duty. Is this the Ithaca? I never paid attention to the maker back then. if it's not the Ithaca, can anyone ID it?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 PM

I served as an Advisor (1LT) in RVN. I carried an M16, never fired it. I was too busy calling in Arty and Air. I doubt many people know what a combat officer actually does in combat.