Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Roll the dice or go local/trader?
Roll the dice 20 60.61%
Local/trader 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM

Default Poll:Roll the dice or go local?

I’m hoping to fill the HRA slot in my Garand collection

All three are currently CMP rifles

My first ever Garand was my first CMP gun and was 1944 SA with original barrel

With that last release just before the Turks I scored a Winchester and IHC both with original barrels and USGI wood. IHC has mostly IHC parts, both very nice rifles

I’ve been holding out for a while to see if HRAs start showing up in numbers but doesn’t seem to be the case

I’d like all four to be CMP guns that I ordered but it isn’t crucial as long as the HRA is a CMP

The kicker is there is a time limit I’m up against, won’t go into details but let’s just say I’d like to get it in hand by end of February

So what say the CMP braintrust? Roll the dice with a pretty please sticky for HRA or pick one up one up on the trader/locally?

Last edited by HogsWild; 01-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM

With that luck,roll the dice. Then go to Vegas while waiting for your all correct HRA to arrive!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Hah, as they say in the investing world “past performance is not indicative of future results”
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM

I voted roll the dice. Seems like the recent SG Phil returns are in better shape than the Turk ones from what I’m seeing posted. And shipping is only two weeks, well within your time constraint. So I would sticky for a HRA, see what you get. If it’s not what you want, I’m sure you could sell it on here and go local, all before end of Feb. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM

I like getting CMP products, coming from the military, etc, but I don't see how without the paper, an HRA picked up years ago by Johnny Smith and you getting a Philippine / Turkish return - whats the difference?

Put a WTB here on the forum, ask that it be a CMP - HRA are not very rare - and perhaps you are incredibly lucky guy - got an IHC and Winchester in one order -wow....
Old 01-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Roll the dice. Don't get what you want, sell it and either try again or buy one off the forums.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I like getting CMP products, coming from the military, etc, but I don't see how without the paper, an HRA picked up years ago by Johnny Smith and you getting a Philippine / Turkish return - whats the difference?

Put a WTB here on the forum, ask that it be a CMP - HRA are not very rare - and perhaps you are incredibly lucky guy - got an IHC and Winchester in one order -wow....
Well, price for one. Service grade HRA in the trader or local isn’t likely to be same price as from CMP

Otherwise would just be the cool factor, that I got one of each maker directly from CMP. No intrinsic value whatsoever to anyone but me

And to be clear, the WRA and IHC were specific releases. I did sticky for original barrels and USGI and CMP did not disappoint

Last edited by HogsWild; 01-19-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:01 PM

Go the CMP route first, learn about them...or if you might even want another. If you do, you'll almost assuredly get something outside the CMP that is more to your liking.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:18 AM

I stickied for an HRA fg and got it back in July
Old 01-20-2019, 05:52 AM

I would go for a CMP rifle first. I have a really bad attitude towards "corrected" rifles. I'm sure some are perfectly solid, but some may also be literally unsafe collections of dubious parts.