Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 AM

Default Trading a service grade Garand for a carbine

Normally I would not ask such a thing, but carbines seem in very short supply and they are interesting, also I have a few spam cans of unopened ww2 ammo in my shed and only a 30 ruger 3 screw blackhawk to shoot up all that ammo. I don't have any carbines, while I have 5 service grade Garands. Would this be considered a smart trade, or would I be wasting a nice service grade garands value on a trade for a lesser value rifle?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:48 AM

If you live in a state that bans and restricts detachable box magazines, I would say don't do it The M1 Carbine was a contemporary of the Garand and is another historically significant firearm. If you really want one, figure out which Garand you are least attached to, and go ahead. I guess consider the value of the rifles to you as well as their inherent value.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Carbines are just as collectible as a Garand. And likewise, the value is based on scarcity of maker and originality of the given rifle. Since you don’t have one, I would say if you can find an equitable trade...go for it!!

Additionally, if you have unopened WW2 spam cans of carbine ammo. I think you will find it is worth more than shooter ammo. Many collectors are looking for the unopened cans and you would probably be able to get enough money to buy significantly more ammo than what’s in the cans.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:48 PM

I am in Hawaii, no legal way to ship ammo that I know of to the mainland You are allowed to carry a maximum of 10 lbs of ammo in your checked bags, and that's it. A shame too, as I even have the spam can keys and the writing is clear on the cans.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 PM

Default Location

Be sure to post LOCATION in your name header if selling......
Old 01-20-2019, 11:10 PM

Thank you RVN, but I never sell anything, I might trade or give something away. but never sell. I have learned over the years to sell nothing and never get divorced so I can just keep it all until I croak, LOL
Old 01-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrob View Post
I am in Hawaii, no legal way to ship ammo that I know of to the mainland You are allowed to carry a maximum of 10 lbs of ammo in your checked bags, and that's it. A shame too, as I even have the spam can keys and the writing is clear on the cans.
I believe Alaska Airlines allows up to 50 lbs or 5000 rds. Unless there is a special restriction to Hawaii?

I ship cases of ammo to Alaska from the lower 48 as baggage often.

Last edited by hogfamily; 01-21-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:32 PM

I believe Alaska allowance is 11 lbs. to Hawaii, not much difference
Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM

You can generally get a Garand from the CMP cheaper than you can pick up a carbine on the open market. So I'd say do it.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Garands are only going up in price,and have never went down, while the Carbine has risen very high in price but has pretty much leveled off for quite a few years now. The Garand still hasn't peaked. They even seem to go up in price by the CMP every other year or so. Plus we are coming up on the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII in 2020 when prices will inevitably jump again for Garands and probably never go down. Personally I would never sell or trade any Garand for a carbine, but that's just my personal opinion.

You can only shoot one at a time though and you say you have 5 Garands, so I would maybe think about trading one if I had that many, but only if the new owner had never had a Garand before and really would appreciate it and shoot and enjoy it, and take care of it. Not just lock it away as a part of a collection. Just don't be kicking yourself if after a couple years you grow a bit bored with it and during that time the Garand supply runs out and prices on the open market go over 2 grand on the open market for a rack grade. The supply WILL run out. It is only a matter of time.

I currently am waiting for my second and probably my last. Two is enough for me and I am planning on acquiring an M14 model next anyway. Then I will have nice examples of my Grandfathers rifle and my Fathers. There is no interest in an M1C or D for me for that reason.

Last edited by Professional Amateur; 01-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.