Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 PM

This is just my 2cents. First off much of what I have learned about the Italian M1's I learned from Jim, and I hope to be able to sit down one day and really dissect the history.

I will say this, when I compare any of my Italian M1 receiver's to the US made receivers the quality is about on par with my post was SA and HRA receivers, in some cases maybe slightly better.

Rifles are not extremely rare, but receivers are a little more common but bring more money than a US made rifle/receiver. Parts for the rifles aren't extremely hard to find, but always do bring a premium. I am currently gathering parts for several rifles but available funds have slowed me down a bit.Finding values for these rifles and parts is difficult because there isn't a huge pool to pull from when trying to collect pricing data. I would say most receivers are in the $550 range +/- depending on condition. I believe one recently sold for less on here, but I think it could have sold for more if it wasn't just before the holidays (just an opinion, so nobody jump on me for that).

I will say this, if a certain branch of the military doesn't get paid soon I may be selling a b/r , but I am going to try and hold out for a long as I can.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
The 'rarest of the rare' Italian M1s are the Beretta factory guns that were imported by 'Santa Fe' back in the 1960s. These were not their (in)famous re-welds, these were factory-new Berettas and marked quite differently. I think the last one I saw on GunBroker went for close to $5,000 - not bad!
Picture, not by me:

Eli
Yes, not long ago I had someone try to convince me those Santa Fe specimens never existed. "Rewelds" , the so-called expert said. I think he meant "ReMil"...doesn't matter. Those and the BM.62's (exclusively civilian, and exclusively for the U.S. market, NEVER MILITARY!!) have no "service history", but are dazzlingly rare, and NO, those who claim they're bogus simply don't know any better or believe old internet wive's crackpot tales.

Of course, like the "uncrested" ones Reese imported, they'd appeal to those who collect by BRAND rather than by MILITARY BACKGROUND, of which they would inherently have none.

Yes, I had affirmed that package long before posting the information.

Antonelli verified that, too.

However, there are way more of those around civvy special orders around than military M1's of most export contract nations other than Denmark.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 01-21-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: additional note
Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What did the heel stampings look like on them?

I've no idea. I borrowed that picture from Shuff's 'Battle Tested' forum, but the guns are listed on auction sites occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
Yes, not long ago I had someone try to convince me those never existed. "Rewelds" , the so-called expert said. I think he meant "ReMil"...doesn't matter. Those and the BM.62's (exclusively civilian, and exclusively for the U.S. market, NEVER MILITARY!!) have no "service history", but are dazzlingly rare, and NO, those who claim they're bogus simply don't know any better or believe old internet wive's crackpot tales.

Antonelli verified that, too.

However, there are way more of those around civvy special orders around than military M1's of most export contract nations other than Denmark.

I had somebody try to tell me that all factory Beretta BM59s were select-fire; there were several early 'Mk 1' guns that were semi-auto only and built on surplus USGI receivers.

Eli
Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
I've no idea. I borrowed that picture from Shuff's 'Battle Tested' forum, but the guns are listed on auction sites occasionally.

I had somebody try to tell me that all factory Beretta BM59s were select-fire; there were several early 'Mk 1' guns that were semi-auto only and built on surplus USGI receivers.

Eli
Most were some form of selective fire. The Nigerians bought both. As nearly as I can discern, almost ALL European-issued specimens began life selective fire. They were far more controllable than the '14, by the way. Most of them were on re-marked U.S. receivers, and a great many of those were selective fire, too.

You're right, though. Semiauto versions comprised a lot of them. There are sources which say all of them were selective fire. That was only true in the case of a few export contracts.

But the 3-round-burst became standard on a lot.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 01-25-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM

Yep. I sold a Mel Bishop PB about 5 years ago to fund kids College...1400.00 all PB sans a Berda follower. They are very well made. The FINEST Garand type Ive owned was a BM 62...flat flawless fit and finish and a walnut stock that was amazing ...and the 62 paid for 1 semester College and Books.... Freaking Kids........... $$$$ worse then a Aircraft or Boat for cost..... best investment I ever made.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Default Excellent book on Italian Garands

There is a great deal of information found on Italian M1 Garand's in the book "Il Garand in Italia 1951-1996" by Ruggero Pettinelli. The book goes into the Beretta, Breda Meccanica development/production, history of some contracts (i.e. Danish), and utilization of M1 by the Italian military. Additional topics range from the M1D program, accoutrements and gages, through the Tipo 1 & 2 rebuild programs at Terni Arsenal in the 60's and 70's. It is published in Italian with no immediate plans to translate it, but the pictures contained within are impressive. If you want to understand the Italian Garands, this book is a absolute!

Regards,

Mike

Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Flufflythecat has a bunch of these and he posts pics all the time. I haven't seen him post on here in a while though.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Default FluffyTheCat rreceivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Flufflythecat has a bunch of these and he posts pics all the time. I haven't seen him post on here in a while though.
Here's a link of some of his receivers,, I would bet a lot of them are FKF's.

You will have to go to post #8

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=196907
Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM

When Century couldn't sell M1 receivers in the U.S., they moved the kits south. Thus, the Danish-marked, Italian-produced and some U.S. receivers became almost a glut on their market. Parts were not so easy to find.

Every Italian Garand specimen in Canada of which I am aware, Breda and Beretta, is "FKF" Danish marked.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the M1 private import ban has never been permanently revoked or even modified?

Amusing fact: most all of the Italian contract lots began numbers at "zero", sometimes with a number prefix or suffix (no, not "PB" or "BMB", a LETTER CODE as part of the serial number, usually just a single letter for "series datum"), so there are many repetitions of the same serial number with different crests.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 01-28-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: detail