Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Brian, I guess I'm not as educated as you on these.
Here are some more.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Annihilator, even though the barrel is most likely not original you still did well. The barrel is a nice one and it should shoot very well. Nice stock too and it is the right one for the receiver. Even though there's no way to know for sure there's a decent chance that it is original.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Annihilator, welcome to the HRA with wartime barrel club! I received a SG HRA 5.66 with SA 3-44 barrel back in April.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=227249
Old 01-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Nice! Does yours have the "p" proof mark and punch too?
I wonder if the CMP marked the barrels somehow when they replaced barrels.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 PM

On business travel, but will get back to you on that. I likewise suspect it was a CMP re-build.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:15 PM

My GUESS would also be a CMP build. One thing I am pretty sure of is that the barrel was not installed by HRA.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:45 PM

"SG HRA. It's a 4.7 mil and has an HRA op rod, 3/8 das stock, Winchester trigger housing, HRA bolt, and an SA 8-44 barrel"

If I was to evaluate a rifle such as this one I would first consider the period the rifle was originally manufactured. In this case about 1954. What was going on at HRA during this period ? If you read Scott Duff, he notes that " serial number sequence versus barrel date, chronology, is very orderly. Apparently, production was running in a very orderly fashion." Most rifles in this 4.7 range are found with HRA barrels dated from very late 1953 to mid 1954. Some LMR manufactured barrels may also be found.

So this would cause me to conclude a SA 8-44 barrel is not original to the build.

I would then ask myself, how did the Winchester trigger group get into this rifle ? Well either by the soldier or marine that was issued the rifle. Maybe by an armorer at the rifle range. It was common practice for armorers on the range to carry a few extra trigger groups with them. If a shooter had a problem during qualification, such as a broken hammer, it was easier to just switch out the whole trigger group and take the old group back to the armory for repair. The other possibility is that the trigger group was added during a major overhaul at a rebuild facility. But if that was the case, I would expect to see a overhaul marking on either the stock or the receiver leg, depending on what period the overhaul took place.

As far as the barrel change, that would only take place at a 5th Echelon Facility such as SA, Augusta or whatever arsenals were doing rebuilds in the late 1950's or, if a 1960's rebuild, then a Letterkenny, SA or Tooele etc. rebuild marking etched on the right receiver leg. The exception to this would be a Marine Corps rebuild at Barstow Ca, or Albany Ga. prior to 1965, as these would have been unmarked.

As far as "Echelons", 1st echelon would be the marine or solider issued the rifle. Basically just cleaning.
2nd echelon - the company or battalion armorer. Replacing some small parts.
3rd and 4th - such as armorers assigned to rifle ranges who would perform maintenance operations performed only with limited tool facilities. They are of "band aid" nature, consisting of replacement of worn or damaged parts or assemblies with serviceable parts or assemblies. They would also do things such as switch out op rods for better fitting, non binding rods. Correcting various failures to feed or eject which are common on ranges during qualifications.
5th - Only a 5th echelon facility is authorized tools such as barrel & receiver disassembly wrench, barrel and receiver disassembly fixture and reamers and associated tools for headspace. 5th. echelon only can perform barrel changes.

So after considering all this my conclusion is, most likely, this is a CMP rebuild.

I should add that I am speaking of service rifles in the hands of troops, not match conditioned rifles, as the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) and the other service's team armorers did change barrels in the course of building and overhauling match rifles.

Last edited by JoeW2111; 01-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 AM

JoeW211, very informative information, thank you!