Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jim In Va
Default Fitting stock

Carbine stock fitting
I have a commercial carbine stock that I would like to fit to my Greek return carbine. The action fits into the stock however it does not set the same as the FAT stock the carbine came in. When placed into the stock the barrel sets about 1/4 inch up from the end of the stock. When installing the hand guards he front band easily slides on with a slight amount of pressure. Any tips on properly fitting the stock would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 PM

Jim

I've always wanted my barrel to be high before handguard and barrel band.

Heard that is the correct pressure on the rear.

I think you are good to go.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Stock/barrel fit

Go to uscarbinecal30.com click on stock group, scroll down to recoil plates and read, your stock seems to be right where it belongs.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:53 PM

Bump the butt of the stock on the floor while squeezing the barrel to the stock nose. This will seat the receiver into the recoil plate.
Do not just push the barrel down to get the HG on. This is incorrect.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
Bump the butt of the stock on the floor while squeezing the barrel to the stock nose. This will seat the receiver into the recoil plate.
Do not just push the barrel down to get the HG on. This is incorrect.
Well I have to ask. Why is this incorrect?

Always though that with the rifle in the recoil plate, a little pressure was correct to seat the rifle in the band.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 05-23-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Poster View Post
Well I have to ask. Why is this incorrect?

Always though that with the rifle in the recoil plate, a little pressure was correct to seat the rifle in the band.

What you are doing is insuring the end of the receiver has hooked and locked into the recoil plate properly. I always give the butt plate a good slap with the palm of my hand to seat the receiver. The barrel still sits just above the end of the stock about a 1/4" or so.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:22 PM

(4c3) When it floats the barrel above the normal band located position on the stock, it will shoot straight, probably.
(4c4) There is an important step in assembly of the action to the stock. After 'hanging' the action on the recoil plate, hold the stock with one hand under the receiver and strike the buttplate several times with the other. Hit it hard enough to make the slide 'clank'. The shooter can hear a different sound when it hits bottom. This is the action lug and the recoil plate coming together completely. The action will settle into position with the barrel just slightly above the barrel channel (in a properly fitted carbine), just about where the barrel band would hold it. It is incorrect and possibly damaging to pull the barrel down more than 1/8" to get the band on the stock. The Type III recoil plate is the best, but any of them can be adjusted to properly hang the action. The action 'settling' procedure is in TM 9-1276, Feb., 1953, pg. 125 & 126.

above taken from the below link.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/upload...Notes_2007.pdf
Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 PM

"Well I have to ask. Why is this incorrect?"
You do not want any pressure of barrel pushing up on the band. The receiver has to be fully inserted into the recoil plate. If not as the barrel heats up it will distort and the point of impact will change.
Now why not? If you do not set the receiver into the recoil plate, the first or second shot will. Then your point of impact will change for the following shots. To verify this, do not seat the receiver into the recoil plate and assemble the carbine by pushing the barrel down to get the HG to go in the band.
Shoot it. Now remove the band and HG and the barrel will no rise back up. The recoil from firing, seated the receiver into the recoil plate.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:03 PM

Default barrel position

When in basic training they taught up the butt stock bump on the floor to set the barreled receiver. It's always worked for me..