Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 AM

Default Vintage Scope base on 03 Sporter ID, please.

Bought an SRS-papered Sporter that came with this side mount professionally attached to it. For years I thought it was a Noske, but cant find any concrete info as to its ID. As you can see, its on the small side, but looks strong and very well made. The top is a dovetail (hard to see with birds-eye view here.)
Would like to actually get the correct mount and throw an old Alaskan on it and use it.
Any help ID'ing this mount would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Yeah, thought it might be a G&H, but all the G&H's I looked at have screws and pins that are not equidistant-drilled and set on the plate. If you look at mine, they are all equally drilled and spaced.
Still a mystery...
Old 11-06-2018, 05:16 PM

I believe it is an early Noske. I bought a rifle with a Noske base but no ring assembly. The late Michael Petrov told me what it was and helped me find a ring assembly. Like G & H there are some differences in early and late Noske scope mounts.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 AM

I also believe it to be Noske. I have a Springfield NRA that was customized back in the day by Sedgley. It has the Noske side mount base with the same dovetail with the center split and attaching screw hole on the top of the base same as yours. The screw and pin arrangement is different but I have found a variety of patterns with Noske depending on the receiver it is intended for. The base on mine is two and a half inches long and one and one eighth inch tall.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Scroll through this
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...97319&page=all
Old 11-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Thanks Randy.
I saw that thread years ago when I first got the rifle. Unfortunately it doesnt shed any light on my particular mount. I do believe its an early Noske, but which model or which scope ring assembly remains a mystery.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Further down the thread it shows one (with two holes) like your mount. I see the patent listed (cross bolt type) is in the 20's and like you say suspect yours might be earlier.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Thanks Randy.
I saw that thread years ago when I first got the rifle. Unfortunately it doesnt shed any light on my particular mount. I do believe its an early Noske, but which model or which scope ring assembly remains a mystery.
I have a reproduction Noske Fieldscope catalog that includes the mountings he offered. I have found that Noske did not offer a lot of different options. The mounting side plates varied by the receiver they were intended for and whether the mount was attached from the top or side. The mounting plate you have would require a mount that attaches from the top. The rings are part of the mount and are 7/8 inch, split or non split. All of the Noske scope barrels were 7/8 inch. So pretty much any scope with the 7/8 inch barrel from the 30s could be used with Noske rings and mount.

The catalog I have has 3 mounts listed that would work with your base, No 2; No 4; and No 6. If you would like, I would be happy to scan and send this info and pictures of these mounts to you. Just need your email.

Ted