Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM

For RtL
There is an extensive dissertation in Hatcher’s Book of the Garand about the competition between the .276 Pedersen rifle and the.276 Garand rifle. Eventually the Garand was selected. I would tend to believe that two items’ weighed heavily on the decision: the Pedersen rifle required “lubricated” ammunition and required working to closer manufacturing tolerance for proper operation.

The question became “moot” when the Board submitted the final report to the War Department for approval before transmittal to the Ordnance Department for execution.

The War Department rejected the proposal in no uncertain terms and indicated that:
The U S Army had no intentions of abandoning the .30 caliber rifle
All work on any .276 rifle be ceased immediately
All further actions would be directed to developing an acceptable .30 caliber rifle.

This pretty much doomed the Pedersen rifle which, as I understand it, was a sort of “delayed blowback” action that could not be adapted to the more powerful .30 M1 Ball ammunition, the standard .30 caliber ammunition at the time. Garand, on the other hand, had a fairly successful .30 caliber working model of rifle that he had been working on prior to initiating work on the .276 rifle
FWIW

Last edited by Cosine26; 09-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:00 AM

Default M1 at 1939 National Matches

A clarification, my father who was 17 at the time, attended the 1939 Small Arms Firing School and was permitted to fire a course with the M1 ( gas trap type, of course). He had no malfunctions and said the M1 was more pleasant to shoot than the 1903.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
For RtL
There is an extensive dissertation in Hatcher’s Book of the Garand about the competition between the .276 Pedersen rifle and the.276 Garand rifle. Eventually the Garand was selected. I would tend to believe that two items’ weighed heavily on the decision: the Pedersen rifle required “lubricated” ammunition and required working to closer manufacturing tolerance for proper operation.

The question became “moot” when the Board submitted the final report to the War Department for approval before transmittal to the Ordnance Department for execution.

The War Department rejected the proposal in no uncertain terms and indicated that:
The U S Army had no intentions of abandoning the .30 caliber rifle
All work on any .276 rifle be ceased immediately
All further actions would be directed to developing an acceptable .30 caliber rifle.

This pretty much doomed the Pedersen rifle which, as I understand it, was a sort of “delayed blowback” action that could not be adapted to the more powerful .30 M1 Ball ammunition, the standard .30 caliber ammunition at the time. Garand, on the other hand, had a fairly successful .30 caliber working model of rifle that he had been working on prior to initiating work on the .276 rifle
FWIW
Yes, I'm familiar with (and have the book) Book of the Garand. Not sure why this was brought up, as I'm in agreement with the contents therein. Another source of "discussion" on this subject is contained in Billy Pyle's The Gas Trap Garand.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Hi RtL
It was Rock who raised the question on the Pedersen vs Garand tests.
Sorry
CO
Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 PM

Not a problem ... admittedly, you had me scratching my head ...
Old 09-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
PS - which got me looking at serial numbers. We had less than 600,000 Garands at the start of WWII. We had more 1903s in service than that at the onset of WWI.
The M1 was just getting into volume production and it was going to the possible front line units (Sans the Marines who were not to be convinced until Guadalcanal)

Heck we had more 1917s in cosmo than M1s. And how big was the Army at that time?

I am surprised they had that many - I don't know the numbers but that would seem to be in excess of the full service at the time let alone the Rifle/Engineer units.