Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinpig View Post
Are there still B-25s flying? I could have sworn I saw one low overhead near Otis AFB in Massachusetts today. Twin engines, twin vertical stabilizers. Maybe part of an air show?
Yes, lots (relatively speaking). I was at the Hagerstown airport airshow 2 weeks ago and a beautiful polished B25 was giving rides for $425 +/-. It flew all day long.

Fyi, the B25 was such a docile and easily controlled airpalne that is was used in advanced flight training for years.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Sarge View Post
Here's the list of survivors, several of which are fliers or airworthy. You can scroll down to see the US section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...B-25_Mitchells

As for the one you saw, maybe from this group, they are currently touring Massachusetts.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/e...mouth-ma-2018/
Thanks for the link, Sarge! That's it, they're at the Plymouth, MA Airport until noon tomorrow. 15 miles from my house. B-17, B-24, B-25, P-51, and P-40. A ride is out of the question, but I'll try to meet up with my son for a walk-through. The B-25 was a beautiful sight and sound in the air. I saw it three more times this afternoon. Pictures to follow, hopefully.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Fortunately I live about an hour away from both the Yankee Air Museum in Ypsilanti, MI and the Liberty Air Museum in Port Clinton, OH. Got to fly the Ford Tri-motor a few weeks ago and took a tour of the museum and saw Georgie's Gal up close. This aircraft has done fly-overs at the national matches and at the D-Day re-enactment at Conneaut, OH.

I used to work at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti and would run out of my office to the outdoors whenever the B-17 stationed at the Yankee Air Museum would fly over. Could never get enough of the sound of those 4 radials. Sounds like freedom!
Appleseed Instructor
Old 09-20-2019, 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=USAF Sarge;1869145]Funny story for yall. When my dad was stationed at Zaragoza AB, Spain (72-75) they had a "Bird" strike on a F-4. The pilot was incapacitated and the rear seater landed it. The base veterinarian clinic took samples to ID the bird. Some time later the results came back, it wasn't a bird it was a rabbit.

In the 1980's, a C-141 on approach to an airport on the African coast had a birdstrike that punched a hole in the wing leading edge. Aside from blood, guts and feathers, they found a large fish inside the leading edge. I feel sorry for that bird that had just picked up his dinner, then suddenly got whacked.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:31 PM

A few pictures from the Collings Foundation Tour in Plymouth, MA today starring B17 "Nine-Oh-Nine", B-24 "Witchcraft", B-25 "Tondelayo", and P-51 "Toulouse Nuts":

Tinpig
Old 09-21-2019, 11:26 AM

In Fitchburg MA.

B25 just flew over.

Assuming a Collins Fdn AC.