Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Default 1982 Colt Ace

I just had an old gun guy call to offer me a Colt Ace from another friend of his that is looking to sell. I don't know much about these other than it is a Colt .22He said it is in like new condition with the original box and would like top dollar for this. Are these just a straight collectable pistol or is this something I could just buy to shoot? Thank you for any input.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Depends on what you like to shoot. I have had a couple of Colt Ace's. I really like them, but I wouldn't pay much over a grand for one. They are series 70 guns though and desirable. I have one that is a B suffix serial number and lettered as an Ace by Colt. It came from the factory with a Colt .22 conversion barrel assembly rather than an Ace marked slide. Colt records are screwed up, but it's neat anyway. It has a rare conversion unit with fixed government style sights. Most of these units had adjustable sights.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Not sure what "top dollar" is but one sold here today....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=253578
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM

Yes Shomway I did see that as I was looking for information. I'm more of a shooter than a collector. I would not want to buy it to keep it in the safe. I do like the idea of a Colt .22 though. Thank you both for your input.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

This might help...I have a stock, late 1970's Ace that I shot a lot. Through trial & error I found that the pistol likes HV rounds with plated bullets. The floating chamber seems to work best when this type of ammo, (think Rem Golden Bullet, RWS HV, etc). Standard velocity, lubed target ammo gums up the floating chamber and makes it jam after 100 or so rounds.
One more little issue mine had was with the small feed ramp/rim cutout. At the interface of the ramp top and the breech face there was insufficient rim clearance for the round to slip in properly. In other words, the circular rim cutout wasn't big enough for the live round's rim to cleanly bottom out , when it rode up the feed ramp and the slide ran home, causing a deformed round & a jam. I ran a Match reamer through it to clean up the rim, polished it bright and now it runs like a Swiss watch. These issues with my pistol were minor, and might not happen to you, but just thought Id share. I will say it does turn heads at the range.

Last edited by 218bee; Yesterday at 06:32 PM.
Old Today, 10:22 AM

The Colt service model Ace should have a SM prefix on the serial number, if the condition is mint with box and papers collectors will pay up for it, if the pistol has been shot a lot and shows use then obviously it will not be worth as much as a mint collector grade. Lots of fake boxes are in circulation for Colts, be weary on the box and label, the box should be a brown in color box, just wondering what is he asking for it? I bought a mint very little use one a few years back and paid $1,200.00 for it.

Last edited by Pappy16; Today at 10:25 AM.
Old Today, 11:11 AM

Thank you for the reply, Wow, that is a nice looking pistol. I have not seen the Ace yet or got an actual price for it. All I know is that it has been shot very little and he has the original box and paperwork for it.