Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Default How to build an inexpensive barrel shoulder roller

I was building another Garand and had a barrel with light draw. I had read in the past that guys use pipe cutters with the cutter removed and replaced with a roller made by a machinist to roll the edge of the barrel. I had no choice if I wanted to continue my project but to build one.

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up two #2 Pipe Cutters. I figured I would try to use a roller out of the extra pipe cutter to replace the cutting wheel on the other creating the tool I needed. But, I decided since it was on the way I would stop at the hardware store and see if I could find something that would work rather than destroying a second pipe cutter. I came across what is called a: Handi Grommet Kit. Inside the package was a wheel that appeared to be almost the ideal size I needed for the third roller. The dude at the store allowed me to open the package and the roller was a near perfect fit. the hole was exactly the right diameter for the screw shaft of the pipe cutter. The external diameter was just large enough to extend beyond the frame of the cutter. All I needed were two washers to fill in the thickness, which I had at home. (the external diameters of the washers have no significance, just need to be smaller than the roller itself, I use what I have)

So it cost roughly $12.75 for the pipe cutter (with the 20% H.F. discount) and $14.99 for the Handi Grommet Kit or about $28.00 in all.

I did of course use it and it does a perfect job of swagging the barrel and providing a nice crush fit to the receiver.

sparx

Last edited by sparx; 03-09-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/sparx21/long%20term%20stuff/IMG_6162.jpg
Old 06-04-2012, 06:31 PM

I have done a bunch of barrels by just tapping the edge of the shoulder with a hammer to fold the edge over slightly. Barrels are very soft steel. I have never had one come loose, and in most cases it does not even show.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
I have done a bunch of barrels by just tapping the edge of the shoulder with a hammer to fold the edge over slightly. Barrels are very soft steel. I have never had one come loose, and in most cases it does not even show.
I used to do that also, this is"like budder".

sparx
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Awesome, gotta add to my collection of cheap Chinese tools again, haha.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 PM

If you purchase that cutter from Harbor Freight, check the screw and pin that holds the cutter wheel in place, some are stripped out.
sparx
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

then you held the barrel in your barrel vise?

Great idea!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin601 View Post
then you held the barrel in your barrel vise?

Great idea!!
In my case I had to use my bench vise, where I have the barrel vise there was not enough swing space. I have plastic vise jaws for this.
This was not my idea, I was just was fortunate to get the parts at a low cost.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM

Great tip there.. Maybe Repost in the "How-To" section so it has a longer forum life.

Eric
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Great work!!!! Great idea. Write a note to Ghost and have him put it in the "How To " Forum under a "Sticky". I'm going to Harbor Freight today to see if they have the pipe cutter. Maybe even the grommet kit.

Larry
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Great work!!!! Great idea. Write a note to Ghost and have him put it in the "How To " Forum under a "Sticky". I'm going to Harbor Freight today to see if they have the pipe cutter. Maybe even the grommet kit.

Larry
I got the grommet kit at the hardware store. I am sure if you Goggle it you can find one.
If not I can get it for you and send it to you
sparx