Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Lets not forget that the CMP1911 program is in a current state of limbo as we wait to see if there will even be a second round of pistols shipped. I think the real problem is offering them for sale in a public venue such as GB and posting where they have come from. CMP has spent a lot of money and jumped through all the hoops to conform to the rules for CMP to receive and sell these. I doubt that anyone here or CMP wants to see anything that will threaten this program as I feel we are on thin ice already.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandguy45 View Post
The CMP is a US government chartered program that receives US Government property / inventory for sale to eligible US Citizens. That obligates them to impartially uphold their responsibility to a higher degree than your typical retail operation. If they randomly decide not to sell people they better have a really solid reason that they can document. Making up rules as you go or after the fact is not adequate. If someone meets their requirements, follows their rules, and they deny them sales, that is not only a PR and customer service issue, it is probably also actionable.
How about the chances of losing the program entirely, is that solid enough for you? Its most likely the government itself which got on CMP's case about the guns being listed for resale on GB. Its obvious through their years of M1 sales that CMP themselves has not attempted to stop the resale of M1's.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
Then find another source, easy enough right? If not, jump through the hoops, play by their rules. Its not hard, thousands of people do it every year.
I am not 100% sure of the point you are trying to make here, but I agree if you are saying people who want to flip weapons for sale should go somewhere else. I don't think it is ethical to flip the CMP weapons for a profit. That is not the purpose of this program. The problem is that legal and ethical are two different things and CMP opens itself up to headaches if they later deny service or sales without making the rules clear and upfront.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The CMP is a US government chartered program that receives US Government property / inventory for sale to eligible US Citizens. That obligates them to impartially uphold their responsibility to a higher degree than your typical retail operation. If they randomly decide not to sell people they better have a really solid reason that they can document. Making up rules as you go or after the fact is not adequate. If someone meets their requirements, follows their rules, and they deny them sales, that is not only a PR and customer service issue, it is probably also actionable.
Some people envisioned the 1911 program as a way to make money. Period. Just like a few people that see the M1 Garand sales as a way to make money by enlisting others to buy the maximum-allowable quantity of rifles and flip them. One person in particular advertises that he's sold over 5,000 Garands.
If the CMP decides to no longer do business with an individual, that's just a private company making a business decision. Actionable? Not in any way, shape or form.
Credit unions are federally-chartered. Some insurance companies are federally-chartered. Doesn't mean they have to do business with you.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
Some people envisioned the 1911 program as a way to make money. Period. Just like a few people that see the M1 Garand sales as a way to make money by enlisting others to buy the maximum-allowable quantity of rifles and flip them. One person in particular advertises that he's sold over 5,000 Garands.
If the CMP decides to no longer do business with an individual, that's just a private company making a business decision. Actionable? Not in any way, shape or form.
Credit unions are federally-chartered. Some insurance companies are federally-chartered. Doesn't mean they have to do business with you.

Private companies get sued all the time for denying service. This is a federally chartered organization given authority by the US Government to sell surplus government property. They are going to be held to a higher standard than typical mom and pop business. Given that they did not spell this out upfront, of course it is actionable. Will anyone actually take action if denied future sales? Would they prevail? Who knows, but it is potentially a problem for CMP if they arbitrarily deny sales. They should have had everyone who bought a weapon sign a contract that they would not sell for so many years, but then CMP might have had to start a buy back program as you cannot legally prohibit someone from selling their own property.

I have no dog in this hunt. My guess is that CMP put that up on the website to officially discourage the practice of resales, but truth is they likely couldn't care less.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandhunter31 View Post
How about the chances of losing the program entirely, is that solid enough for you? Its most likely the government itself which got on CMP's case about the guns being listed for resale on GB. Its obvious through their years of M1 sales that CMP themselves has not attempted to stop the resale of M1's.
I doubt anyone cares about the gunbroker sales but the people who have random number outside of the range of the first shipment.

There are literally thousands of people who have bought and flipped M1s over the years. Many do this as part of their business and did this hundreds of times. Go to a gunshow and there are rows of CMP Garands. CMP had to know this was happening. What became of that? That is a much larger issue than one person selling one 1911.

Listen, I think we are on the same page. I wouldn't flip a CMP weapon. There are always people looking to game the system.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I am not 100% sure of the point you are trying to make here, but I agree if you are saying people who want to flip weapons for sale should go somewhere else. I don't think it is ethical to flip the CMP weapons for a profit. That is not the purpose of this program. The problem is that legal and ethical are two different things and CMP opens itself up to headaches if they later deny service or sales without making the rules clear and upfront.

I was saying that the people who are banned from buying anymore, or moan and complain about CMP policies should just logoff and go find the rifles/pistols elsewhere. Its that simple
Old 05-19-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
I was saying that the people who are banned from buying anymore, or moan and complain about CMP policies should just logoff and go find the rifles/pistols elsewhere. Its that simple
This should end this thread, lock it up!
Old 05-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock41 View Post
This should end this thread, lock it up!
Agree
Old 05-19-2019, 07:30 PM

Why do we always have to lock threads around here? Why not have open discussions on this stuff?

Garandguy has some solid points.