Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM

Default My first Garand

I received my first Garand today, an IHC SG, #50191xx, so I'm assuming 1954. It arrived in a generic (but reasonable quality) black Flambeau case. Missing enbloc clip and manual [Edit: Thanks, T38 = they were hiding under the foam just as you said].

My son and I are going to learn together how to take her apart, clean, and re-assemble. Some day this will be his. BTW, is this the correct grease that people are recommending?

I'm very happy - I'll ask CMP about the clip and manual but I'm not stressed about it.

I'm not complaining, just observing, but here are my external inspection notes. Understand that I know my way around military rifles but am a 100% "compleat" Garand newbie.

Quality Control:
- Front sight installed a bit right of center, and the rear was fully left. I'm hoping that's not its zero!!!

Receiver: Looks understandably worn for a 65yo rifle (edges are shiny). I don't see much pitting.

Barrel: SA-1-52. I'm assuming bbl was added at CMP - it's listed on the tag. Worn shiny around the crown, but looks less worn overall than the receiver.

New/refinished/refurb parts:
- Stock is CMP new. A small imperfection in the front handguard caught my eye. I don't think it's concerning. I plan to do some refinishing with my son over the summer. We'll probably start by practicing with my 30ish yo Remington 870.
- Along with that, the bands, front and rear sling hardware, and butt plate look either new or at least re-parked.
- Front sight has a nick on one wing and looks as if it was re-parked afterwards (no shiny edges on the nick). I didn't see any stamps on it.
- Rear sight is DRC.

Cleanliness:
- For all the worries I'd heard of sand and grit in current rifles, I don't see a ton. It wouldn't pass Saturday morning inspection, but again, it's coming up on 2/3 of a century.
- Buildup of grease and gunk on either side of rear sight.
- Looks like it's a bit dirty down in the well and into the hammer area.
- Chamber looks pretty clean at first glance - just grease buildup around the feed ramps, maybe dirtied a bit by the test firings.
- Sawdust inside the butt plate door, which makes sense with a new stock.

Misc:
- Trigger group is well-worn and shiny. It feels tight and crisp.
- Dang, these are pretty rifles!

Last edited by FlyingT; 03-20-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Look under the foam...they usually stuff the enbloc and manual there!!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
Thanks! That may explain why there was a slit in the foam. Will check when I get home.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:09 PM

You're going to enjoy the learning process...soon you'll want another one to compare, and shoot with your son, and..another one infected... ;-)
Old 03-19-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly62 View Post
You're going to enjoy the learning process...soon you'll want another one to compare, and shoot with your son, and..another one infected... ;-)
I'm already thinking about building one up from parts with him, maybe in .308. He wants to build a .308 AR. I think this would be more rewarding.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:06 PM

308 garand is the one i always take to the range. You will enjoy it!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
Sure enough... there they were. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 PM

The trigger group, hammer, and cut op rod are all SA. Not sure how to ID other parts - I didn't see marks on most of them. No Turkish dope cards in trigger housing. The rifle was dirty but not filthy. The trigger group was quite clean compared to the rest of the components, leading me to believe it was added by CMP.

I lubed it up with Mobil 1 red synthetic grease and RemOil per the GarandGear instructions: http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

The CMP wood was very tight. It took a few blows with a rubber mallet on the comb to get receiver clear of the stock. The trigger group is also very tight and required a dowel behind the trigger to open it and a tap with the rubber mallet to get it back in place. What is too tight?

After reassembling, I did some ops checks and I think I'll be pulling it apart again to lube the op spring, but it was late enough that it went into the safe for the night.

I'll do a full detail strip later.

We are looking forward to shooting it.

Last edited by FlyingT; 03-20-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM

I found a great answer about the tight stock from CMP here: http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...ticle20121.pdf So, I guess I'm just going to let it be, appreciate the tight lock-up, and keep the rubber mallet handy until it loosens up a bit.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:37 PM

What is the distance between the trigger guard tip and the stock when it stops moving to close?

To file those bearing surfaces accurately as shown in the link can be very tricky.
sparx