Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 PM

As they say "you can never pay to much, only to soon" or something like that. Meaning that if you paid a bit to much it won't be long before the value surpasses what you originally paid. Beautiful rifle, you did well. Like "A Seabee" said, "They're not making them anymore, and they're not getting any cheaper." And those that have the nice ones will not be parting with them any time soon.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 PM

I recently purchased a correct grade 4.7 mil. with 3/8 DAS for 1500. With CMP docs.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Very nice rifle that looks much better than you can get today from the CMP without going to CMP auction or paying a few thousand for a "Correct Grade". You did fine on a real beauty. IMO, the really nice close to collector grade Garands will get harder and harder to get, but we'll have plenty of nice Garands that have honest wear on them. I have a really nice HRA SG that the stock is just a little better as I searched for long time for it years ago, but I would want close to that for mine, but really don't have inclination to sell. I have 2 x of the service grade specials (unissued condition collector grades with new CMP walnut that I switched with collector grade stocks) and I would need a little more than that for those 2.
I don't see anything out of place and all seems correct to me. Some of the old CMP Greek return rifles were like collector grades today and sometimes the CMP would just switch out the trigger group, op rod, bolt, or something so they were not "Correct". The ones the Greeks didn't refinish with the dreaded shiny "Greek Black" coating they seemed fond of (no yours is not Greek Black) were really nice. I would wager your rifle was a Greek return rifle sold in maybe 2012 or so. Those were the days - just switch a few parts and there you have an all correct rifle that was hardly used in service at all. I should have backed up the truck and kept more that 3 of those beauties.

Last edited by Army MSG; 03-19-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:36 PM

Alright, so a quick update...
The CMP returned my call and was able to confirm that it sold through them at one point or another, as you guys had suggested. Now I will mail in the $25 and wait for the letter back, which includes the grade it sold as, etc.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:16 PM

I received a letter back from the CMP confirming that it sold as a correct grade, just in case anyone was wondering.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 AM

Nice rifle, and I suspect you would pay a LOT more than you did if you bought that rifle off of the CMP auction today. Well done.
GCA Member

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 [Univ. of Alabama Press,1975])
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunoholic View Post
I received a letter back from the CMP confirming that it sold as a correct grade, just in case anyone was wondering.
You did very well on that rifle as now you have the paperwork for a correct grade rifle and it looks great too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 AM

I think that you did just fine. Obvioulsy a nice example of a HRA. Nice metal. Nice furniture. And I'm a big fan of the 5.6 series too. I've several examples myself.....