Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM

Default New Garand coming . .

Ok . . . you guys are going to break out in hilarious guffaws but here it is. I just won an auction for my last (this makes my 6th.) Garand (Ok you can laugh now.) It's a beauty even though its got dents, dings, rack number (184) and gouges (patina) from being used in wartime. It's a 12/41 SA, serial #439XXX. All parts (except for an early '42 stock ferrule (lg. hole,) appears to be original according to Duff. BBL in the white (TE/ME around 3) and matching receiver. SA/GHS stock with small ordnance wheel, flush nut rear sights, cap over screw front sight, etc. etc. and parts, appearing from photos, seem to have same wear patterns. Just sent check and mailing instructions this morning. Have been looking for one of these for a year (history) and just happened on to it on a gun auction site last Friday when I was at work, and bored, and browsed the internet. Even has a WW2 era 1907 leather sling. Don't know who the manufacturer is yet (of the sling.) Anyway . . . happy happy joy joy! It's gonna be Christmas for an old guy!

Brian

40 yrs. LE
OEF/2004-2006-2010
Old 03-20-2018, 05:40 PM

That serial number falls in the range of Lend Lease rifles to Great Britain. I hope it is everything you are expecting it to be. Please post pictures when you get it.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 AM

BARFTS,

Yes you are correct regarding the Lend Lease serial numbers, but this one didn't have any Brit marks on it. It was described as not Lend Lease, and I have 3 days to look at it and return it to the seller if I'm not satisfied. Lend Lease rifles are nice but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm not good with pics on this site. There are around 40 great pics of the rifle still on gunauction.com. I believe. Item # 14791082 if you can access it.

Regards,

Brian
Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Brian,

I looked at the listing. Jack the Dog is a good seller and always post great pictures. The rifle is outstanding and to me looks to be everything you said it was. I agree with you, this is better than being a Lend Lease. Love the gas cylinder. The finish is perfect for that serial number. Consider yourself very lucky to have stumbled across the auction.Price is good too. Thanks for sharing.

Ted
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Ted,

Thanks . . you scared me with your question and I had to go back and look myself, plus I e-mailed jackthedog regarding what he had seen when he had it apart. He said it was not a LL and would have listed it as such if it was. He knew there would be a value difference. He has been very forthcoming in all my dealings with him and seems like a good guy. I know what I paid seems a little steep considering the "character" of the stock, but felt with all those neat old parts I just had to have it.

Brian
Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Brian . . . .
For what itís worth . . . .
If it still has itís ORIGINAL, ROUND fire-pin, . . . and if you intend to shoot it . . . .I would replace that pin with a newer, flat-sided pin.
Those old, round pins cost UPWARDS of $100!
My original, round pin now resides in VPI paper, in a small plastic bag, in the butt trap.
There is also a note enclosed in the bag explaining my reasoning for itís storage. óJim
Old 03-21-2018, 01:57 PM

Jim,

Thanks for the advice! I've been cyphering (an Appalachian vernacular) about shooting it when I get it. I have a WW2 correct from CMP which I shot a clip through just to see if it could still be used for it's intended purpose. This after a good clean and lube. Oh, yea . . she still wants it! I'm still cyphering on (there's that word again) weather to shoot this one after the same treatment. I'm going to tear it down completely and document its parts on a data sheet. I have NOS parts (firing pins etc.) which I can use for this purpose. You're correct that I should keep all these original parts and not damage them through my enthusiasm. I bought this, my last one, for its historical value. I plan on keeping it for our next generation, if we have one!

Hey! I'll let you know if it has the original round firing pin after I tear it down for data sheet documentation.

Thanks for your input!

Brian
Old 03-30-2018, 01:56 PM

JimF,

Again thanks for your advice on the round firing pin. I disassembled the rifle, including the bolt, and found a 1/2 round firing pin, and according to Duff this would have been placed in these rifles in 12/41, and this being a 12/41 rifle therefore, I'm not surprised. Wish it was a round one though! All parts appear original to the rifle for this date except for the large hole stock ferrule which again according to Duff (or was it Canfield?) was used by SA in early '42. The rifle has damage in the stock near this point so maybe it may have been replaced in theater? The stock has dents, gouges, from rough use plus a "184" rack number on the comb of the stock near the butt plate. Everything else looks like it came that way as built.

Ok guys, here's the question . . how did this rifle, with all of these old parts which seem original (wear patterns etc.) make it over here into the U.S. without getting an arsenal rebuild? It still has a narrow front sight base gas cylinder with cap over screw front sight, and the flush nut rear sights, etc, etc.

You guys should have some answer for this . .

Thanks,

Brian

40yrs. LE.
OEF - 2004/2006/2010
Old 03-30-2018, 04:13 PM

Rifle may be a restoration or sat state side for years in a rack somewhere forgotten. Duffs serial numbers and data sheet book which information in book is taken from actual original found rifles calls for a round firing pin. I wouldn't sweat it though, standard pins were in use not long after
Sounds like a nice example, congrats
Old 03-30-2018, 04:45 PM

Orlando,

Thanks always for your knowledgeable input. Duff's "The M1 Garand WW2" page 158 states "This design (round firing pin") was changed to the more commonly encountered half round body in December 1941." This is what I was going by. I would wonder however if a person was going for a restoration why he wouldn't obtain a better looking GHS stock set? I'm not discounting your opinion however . . . nor am I saying that this rifle was used by the jeep driver for George S. Patton Jr. It is possible, as you say that it could have stayed stateside for those war years. But you've seen the pics on the gunauction site and have seen the damage on the stock. Could that have been done stateside? Anything is possible I guess . . .

Regards,

Brian