Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2022, 10:18 AM

Default Range cart ? Pictures please

Iíve been going to the National Matches at Camp Perry for a few years and took the GSM course 5 years ago ( excellent class thank you Doug and Liam) with the intention of entering a few competitions but have never pulled the plug.

This year Iím entering at a minimum the Carbine match. The only thing Iím missing is a range cart. I was able to find a few older threads on different carts being used, but a lot of the pics are no longer available and Iíve saw a few at some of the competitions that Iíve watched but wasnít really paying a lot of attention to them.

Iím looking for something that I can get at a reasonable cost and modify it. It seems a lot are modified golf carts, jogging strollers, wagons and dollies.

I would greatly appreciate any pictures and/or ideas on what you use and where to start with this project.

Thank You in advance
Old 02-27-2022, 10:37 PM

In my opinion, the Cadillac basic range cart was the Creedmoor stool with what I think is the Ray Vin 14” solid wheel and handle kit.

The kit is not made anymore so people make similar carts like this,

The thing that makes it so nice is it is light weight, wheels are large for rolling easy over uneven ground and the handle comes off for putting in a car. You can find the wheels on EBay, make an axle from aluminum rod and bend a handle from conduit or aluminum tube. The trick is mounting the axle and the handle to the stool.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:05 PM

I made this 9 years ago to haul everything from the parking at the ODNR range to the firing point at one go without having to be an Army pack mule . or taking multiple trips.

all the range carts I've seen people use are either garden wagons, kiddie wagons, etc... and that wouldn't be good for me as I have a car not a truck or SUV. and a jogging stroller, golf club cart is too small, so I decided to make my own to my own specification

bought a stroller at a garage sale, it was cheap something like 20-30 bucks, I gutted it, then I built a foldable box from Luan plywood to fit in the frame. I can fit this easily in the trunk of my small CHEVY CRUZE. and I can load it up with 4-6 rifles, tool kit, spotting scope, ammo, mags etc....

before I made this, I was using a old lady folding grocery cart, it was tall enough where a couple of rifles would fit in there and wouldn't fall out, but I was limited to what I was able to haul to the firing point

anyway that might give you some idea to make your own, although you might want to change the wheels out to larger diameter, if you'll be going over broken ground

Last edited by UncleBilly; 02-28-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:37 AM

GOOGLE “Range Cart” and look at images, you’ll get all the input you need. People have used everything from a cheap dolly with a milk crate bungeed to it, a rolling trash can, a child’s wagon, collapsible carts, golf cart, etc. The main considerations should be that it must: fit your vehicle, hold all your equipment, and get everything to the line with some level of organization to afford you maximum amount of prep time. The Creedmore cart looks like just the ticket for a purpose driven cart but I needed something that I would use for trips to Perry, Sporting Clays, and (hauling gear) for casual range trips. I use a repurposed Jogging Stroller which I fashioned after this: https://ruggedgear.com/shooting-cart...g-carts-2-gun/ The (bicycle) 20 inch wheels roll over uneven ground easily, it collapses to fit in my vehicle, and cost me less than $50. ATV style racks/holders can push price up I had found mine on clearance, cheap.

See many similar to this at pistol matches: https://www.costco.com/mac-sports-xl...100803620.html

A little big/heavy for my tastes, but when these sold for $40-$50 they were popular for modification for those who drove PU trucks: https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...art-65939.html
Old 02-28-2022, 07:15 PM

I have a nice jogging stroller from a garage sale for ten bucks. 10" air tires. Loaded for the day, it pushes easy with one hand.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:45 PM

While many folks make their own cart, I favor purpose built carts. Purpose built carts generally can be used as a shooting stool and have adequate storage in the seat bag. The shooting stool isnít just for sitting on, it also is a place to set gear next to your shooting position. It is sort of a table in that respect.

Any cart with small diameter wheel will not work well on ranges like Camp Perry. What is acceptable hauling gear across a parking lot might not work well across terrain like the Camp Perry ranges.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Any cart with small diameter wheel will not work well on ranges like Camp Perry. What is acceptable hauling gear across a parking lot might not work well across terrain like the Camp Perry ranges.
which is why my last sentence in my post reads; "anyway that might give you some idea to make your own, although you might want to change the wheels out to larger diameter, if you'll be going over broken ground"

Chas, the other thing you might consider is making a cart from wood, there are plans on the net if you use a search for "range cart plans".

Last edited by UncleBilly; 02-28-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:46 PM

Thank You all for the information and ideas. I may just see what I have laying around lol.

Thanks again for all the ideas
Old 03-05-2022, 12:11 PM

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=294727
Old 03-08-2022, 10:38 AM

From baby jogger to range cart:
Here's one pic

https://imgur.com/tRSjcGD

Here are all

https://imgur.com/a/GbuPEks

Link to a thread on this topic

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=265156

Enjoy!

Last edited by rubicon762; 03-08-2022 at 10:42 AM.