Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Group Spread left to right- also sling length?

I had the opportunity to work with my M1 Garand more today and I put 40rds down range in total from prone, standing, and sitting.

I am having an issue though as my groups up and down look fantastic, but horizontally they are spreading out on me.

I think my challenge is my AR-15 NM gun has a very skinny front sight compared to what seems like a stage to enter the bull on my M1. Here is a pic after 8rds prone with a sling at 100 yrds and SR-1 Target.

Note: taped holes were previous four rounds to check zero but were not as carefully held. Note I did make a sight adjustment between as you can tell.

I am still adapting to my trigger pull some too as my Garand has a pretty heavy trigger. I also switched from the cotton sling I had for my M1 to using my Turner NM sling off my AR-15. I just couldnít get the cotton sling to bite like the leather.

So, two questions - is my horizontal spread me fighting with the trigger or I just really need to keep practicing to center the bull? I was really trying to print a decent group and obviously the gun shoots well but would be shooting awesome if I can get my horizontal to match my vertical spread.

Second question, any advice how to quickly break in a new Turner NM sling? I ordered one for the Garand I need to get her broke in so I can use it soon after it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 PM

After shooting thousands of rounds through dozens of M1s: I would say that group is excellent, unless you are using a match rifle. Of course we usually see the best targets here.... Good Shooting. ..
Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 PM

Two clicks up and call it good.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Ceresco summed this up nicely.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM

2 clicks up, 1 click right maybe? Your strong side elbow could be slipping on the mat. I break in my Ron Brown slings by just shooting them. Some guys will take a new sling and act like they are shining shoes with it over a 2x4. It breaks down the stiffness some. Don't over do any oils or conditioners on it.

BTW, that's a pretty good group. The waterline looks good. That rifle will easily clean that target.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 AM

Thanks to all and thanks to Frank who PMd me a few things to consider. The biggest I need to test is my angle on the mat I think. Iíve always shot at a pretty good angle with my 22s and AR-15s and it was suggested to try squaring up so that the recoil is more consistent.

There was other advice too but I donít see this horizontal spread with my Appleseed trainer or AR-15 so I need to give it a try.

I also need to look into some of that sticky spray that shooters will put on their mat or the elbow of their shooting coat. I donít have a good shooting coat, my old one from my 20s when I weighted about 70 or so pounds less but I have a USMC shooting coat that has been working for me for now.

I need to work on my positions more so I need to just take the 22s and a lot of ammo and poke small groups for a bit.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Elbow directly below the rifle? Butt of the rifle staying in the same position? Consistent cheek weld?

As others have mentioned, that rifle (and the guy behind it) are already shooting quite well. Wish I could get that level of vertical stringing! That's where I have to be careful- vertical displacement.