Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtime7 View Post
billings is the big city in MT. But yea, it's not like Texas when it comes to the M14
Yep,I only have spare fiberglass stocks.I never see wood M14 stocks around here.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
I looked up how to bed a stock. The video I watched showed you having to sand and refinish the stock after bedding it. Kind of defeats the purpose of installing this stock if I have to sand and clean it up. I wanted to keep the look of an old worn stock...
What?
The bedding goes inside the stock. Perhaps the stock in the video needed refinishing.
I give up, but good luck sir.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
What?
The bedding goes inside the stock. Perhaps the stock in the video needed refinishing.
I give up, but good luck sir.
It was the Midway USA video. Maybe it was larry just making a mess but that stuff was everywhere.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:00 AM

I have gone through many M14 stocks and never had one fit like yours. Maybe that's why it was for sale in a pawn shop. Buy a stock from a reputable company and you wont have any problems with fit
Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
It was the Midway USA video. Maybe it was larry just making a mess but that stuff was everywhere.
I would tell you there is more than 1 video on bedding on YouTube but it's clear you are just going to make this more complicated than it is.
If the video producer is getting the bedding compound on the wood outside the stock then get another video.
Either way; most would chalk up 1 bad stock to experience (I have) and get another stock. M14 stocks are easy to find, if you look.
Best;
JH
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
I would tell you there is more than 1 video on bedding on YouTube but it's clear you are just going to make this more complicated than it is.
If the video producer is getting the bedding compound on the wood outside the stock then get another video.
Either way; most would chalk up 1 bad stock to experience (I have) and get another stock. M14 stocks are easy to find, if you look.
Best;
JH
I had time to watch a couple videos. Both of them made a mess on the outside of the stock. I have never done a stock bed so if I watched 2 videos on it and they both made a mess then one would imagine that is what happens. Maybe you have a recommended video in mind?

If I was to get another stock and it doesn't fit, like most people have eluded too, then I would be out even more money. Again these things are hard to find out here. I don't have 10, 5, hell even 2 to choose from.

I am going to live with it and go shoot it. To me its no big deal. Maybe I will try and bed the stock this winter. I like to learn how to do new things. I will just have to find a acceptable video where they don't make a mess as I don't want to change the finish of the stock.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 AM

you put masking tape over the outside of the stock, to keep it from getting messy. If it was a nice looking stock, and someone stripped the metal off it and sold it, they probably thought it was fire wood. Have you tried shimming the pads on the trigger group with some beer can to see if it would tighten up? If that should solve the problem then you just need to add some bedding to those pads.

Last edited by mtime7; 05-16-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Ok. Don’t glass bed it. There are stocks for sale in the for sale section. hrplinker has them. I bought one, to probably glass bed it.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
just like the garand about the last inch of the heel should rest firmly on the stock, then should be a very slight gap forward to where the receiver legs start
This is my understanding as well.

Last year I fit a new Bula receiver into a new Boyds stock. I had to file the stock liner to ensure that the receiver legs fit in properly. Then I carefully marked the stock and took down the wood between the end of the heal and receiver legs. That's the short story - it took a long time to get everything right. Something else to check would be if the op rod guide or gas cyl are clearing the barrel channel in the fore end. Work slow.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtime7 View Post
you put masking tape over the outside of the stock, to keep it from getting messy. If it was a nice looking stock, and someone stripped the metal off it and sold it, they probably thought it was fire wood. Have you tried shimming the pads on the trigger group with some beer can to see if it would tighten up? If that should solve the problem then you just need to add some bedding to those pads.
Yes I did and it did suck it down to where the heel is almost touching.