X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMark
    • Dec 2009

A4 Barrel Date Range?

I've come into ownership of an 03A4 that has been sporterized. The original barrel was shortened and turned down to a hunter profile and will need replacement.

SN for this A4 is 499xxxx which I understand will place it as a March 1944 produced rifle.

What would be the correct range of barrel dates that this A4 would have been built with?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by DMark; 07-25-2017, 08:33 AM.
    D. Mark
    Gentleman Farmer, U.S. Army - Ret.
  • Shomway
    • Apr 2012

It appears 12-43 barrel would/might be right.
    This might be of help....
    http://www.vishooter.net/RA4.txt
    31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
    Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Comment

• DMark
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Shomway View Post
      It appears 12-43 barrel would/might be right. This might be of help....
      http://www.vishooter.net/RA4.txt
      Thanks Shomway! I had forgotten about the vishooter list.

Agree, looks like I need a 12-43 barrel.

And...., a RA FJA scant stock.

Anybody have those just lying around in their spare parts pile?
      D. Mark

Comment

• Calif-Steve
        • Nov 2009

CMP has/had the wood might try them. DuPage Trading also has/had the wood in the past. Also know Chuckindenver has/had the wood. Good luck.

Comment

• DMark
          • Dec 2009

Thanks Calif-Steve for the reply and the reminders.

Its been a few years since I was focused on the 03 rifles. My memory and knowledge base is a bit rusty...., also on a new computer and a lot of the links to those 03 vendors were lost when I transfer my data from the old PC.

I'll also send a message to Chuck via the forum and discuss what we should do the rescue this sporterized A4.
          D. Mark

Comment

• chuckindenver
            • Jan 2012

10-43 to 1-44

Comment

• Mike D
              • Jun 2010

What's the rest of the rifle look like? Bolt unaltered? Metal refinished?

Finding an A4 barrel might be tough. Stocks show up often enough. Both are pricey.

If the rest of the rifle is unaltered and still has an arsenal finish, go for it, if you have the funds.

If the receiver has been refinished commercially, find a replacement A3 barrel and have it and the receiver parked together. Then go cheap on a regular scant or C stock, and relieve it for the bolt yourself.

Mike

Comment

• DMark
                • Dec 2009

Mike,

Agree with you, no reason to throw stupid money around trying to make it something it will never be again - - - original.

Its been refinished...., in fact its still has a nice deep blued finish. I'm now in contact with chuckindenver and we will be discussing how to rescue this A4.

It has the correct A4 bolt and Redfield base, but no rings. It won't be a hard job to "unsporterize" but I have no plan to try to make it as it was in March 1944.

I'm thinking that its best to bring it back with sort of a post-war rebuild configuration. Maybe something my Dad might have been around during the Korean conflict.

Mark
                D. Mark

Comment

• Randy A
                  • Nov 2009

If you don't find a preferred dated barrel I do have an NOS 3-44.

Comment

• JDGaynor
                    • Apr 2017

Correct barrel for an A4 in your SN range would be 12-43 or 1-44.
                    A later barrel would indicate a post war rebuild.
                    Earlier is unlikely but not impossible.
                    When using VI shooters list be aware that he publishes Two lists
                    One is just a list of observered serial numbers reported by internet posters
                    Two is a list of Serializatiin charts prepared by Bill Hansen which is more reliable.

Comment

• DMark
                      • Dec 2009

JDGaynor, thanks for the insight. Even with the small sample size, its clear that the 499k A4 s most likely left Remington with 12-43 or 1-44 barrels.

Different topic, but I don't recall ever reading if there was a clear timeline when the C Stocks were installed and then a which over to scant stocks took place.
                      D. Mark

Comment

• Glynn863
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by DMark View Post
                        Mike,

Agree with you, no reason to throw stupid money around trying to make it something it will never be again - - - original.

Its been refinished...., in fact its still has a nice deep blued finish. I'm now in contact with chuckindenver and we will be discussing how to rescue this A4.

It has the correct A4 bolt and Redfield base, but no rings. It won't be a hard job to "unsporterize" but I have no plan to try to make it as it was in March 1944.

I'm thinking that its best to bring it back with sort of a post-war rebuild configuration. Maybe something my Dad might have been around during the Korean conflict.

Mark
                        I found a sporterized A4 as you describe a few years ago. Still had the A4 bolt and Redfield base as well. Mine is an early A4, 3.411M S/N. However, it had been re-arsenaled at some point because it had a 3/44 barrel, but that barrel had been cut down. I was able to find a NOS 6/43 barrel and other USGI parts. I had CMP Custom Shop re-park and re-barrel my rifle. I have a C-stock that CMP altered for the bolt and have both a late '40's Weaver K2.5 and a early '60's Weaver K4 to use. Got a Turner leather sling from another member and the rifle looks great now. Good luck!

Comment

• JDGaynor
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by DMark View Post
                          JDGaynor, thanks for the insight. Even with the small sample size, its clear that the 499k A4 s most likely left Remington with 12-43 or 1-44 barrels.

Different topic, but I don't recall ever reading if there was a clear timeline when the C Stocks were installed and then a which over to scant stocks took place.
                          After WW1 the Army and ordnance decided that going forth from that point all small arms would, if at all possible, have a full pistol grip stock. Witness the M1 rifle, M1 Carbine, M1903A1 rifle and the Johnson. The only exception was the M1903A3 which was a wartime expedient.

The A4 which was based on the use of A3 actions started of with full pistol grip stocks (the M1903A1 stock actually - which basically followed the "C"stock profile).

As time went on in 1943 about mid summer we begin to see scant stocks from subcontractors enter production of finished rifles. From that point to the end of production both types of M1903A1 stock (full pistol grip and scant grip) are used.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• DMark
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by JDGaynor View Post
                            ..... Hope this helps.
                            Very Much. THANKS!
                            D. Mark

Comment

• dprice3844444
                              • Apr 2011

try here
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-model-190...AAAOSw6dNWS6zr

Comment

Working...
                              X