Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Fired Brass - Telling Me Something?

Have been looking for a carbine for a while and recently ran across and purchased an Inland (5 mil S/N, no import marks) at a gun show. Took it out to shoot for the first time yesterday and was able to ping an 8" steel at a bit over 50 yards standing unsupported, so was pretty happy at that. Out of 75 rounds I had one FTF (no primer strike) and one stovepipe a couple of rounds apart, both in the same magazine load (only have one magazine). Didn't happen before or after so think it may have been either the load or the shooter in that particular case so not going to worry too much about those unless it repeats.

The reason I'm posting, though, is that the fired brass came out consistently dirty and I'm wondering if it's normal for these guns or if it's trying to tell me something. Here's a pic of a dozen of the expended casings picked at random from those fired. Would appreciate comments from those more knowledgeable than me about these - does it appear that there's anything to be concerned about? Thanks for your thoughts!

(edit - this is recent manufacture Aquila ammunition similar to that sold by CMP - it was shiny before firing)

Last edited by Sanford; 09-22-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Well...the ammo being used has an impact on this situation. But it looks fine to me...I see that with my carbines...especially with Aguila ammo!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Yep. Definitely normal with Aguila.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Brass Seems To Look OK. What Is The Headspace?

Maybe also I am seeing things that are not there, but is there a trend for the fired brass not to be fouled as much towards the bottom of the case? If you have a precision dial caliper and a set of headspace gages, I would be curious for my own sakes what the head space is and what the average fired brass overall length is. I forgot what the maximum case length is. Maybe somebody will help me out here? HB of CJ (old coot)
Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
Maybe also I am seeing things that are not there, but is there a trend for the fired brass not to be fouled as much towards the bottom of the case? If you have a precision dial caliper and a set of headspace gages, I would be curious for my own sakes what the head space is and what the average fired brass overall length is. I forgot what the maximum case length is. Maybe somebody will help me out here? HB of CJ (old coot)
Yes, most of the cartridges are cleaner at the bottom of the case and there seems to be less expansion in that area. Here's a picture of a few of them cleaned up a bit, though I don't know if it's visible. Unfortunately I don't have access to either a precision caliper or headspace gages at present.

Although I expected the chamber to need a bit of extra cleaning attention there was actually very little (almost no) fouling in the chamber itself. Outside the chamber at the front of the receiver and down into the magazine well was pretty dirty, and the bolt face was as dirty as what I'd expect from a .22 after a few hundred rounds.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:03 PM

I have an non-rebuilt, original Inland that is in excellent condition and shot it for the first time at Camp Perry this summer during the Nationals; all the fired brass came out dirty like yours. I was firing LC 72. The Aguila I practiced with was even dirtier. The carbine shot great; got a gold with it, so I don't think it has any problems. I did find it alarming at first, but that must be the way the little buggers work.
Mike.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Remington shoots pretty "clean" for me (very little soot, wish Orest could get some! hint hint ...). Armscor is about on a par with your pics (shoots VERY well), Tulammo (steel case) is way dirty (but shoots just fine). While I have a box of S&B bought years ago (when I first "started"), I haven't shot it yet. Never tried Aguila.

I wonder how "original" un-aged ammo shot ... or if anybody actually cared. Terminal performance is all that mattered

Last edited by meplat; 09-22-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks all, appreciate your voices of experience - will be less concerned about shooting this one then! Now to do a full detail strip and look for any markings this time around to see what I might really have here as far as parts. Seller I bought it from didn't know much about it, said he'd taken it in trade for an AR.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Underpowered ammo can also cause soot on the cases. If it doesn't have enough juice to expand the brass against the chamber fast enough, you will see soot on the brass. Could also just be plain dirty ammo as previously described.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

One thing to be careful about Aguila .30 Carbine ammo is the case length. I sorted through a box of factory new ammo once and more than 10% were longer than the published maximum CHAMBER length. That is a dangerous condition. If you reload those cases, be sure to measure every case for excess length and trim as needed.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant

Tags
brass, carbine, dirty, inland, soot