X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rich56
    • Dec 2009

Accuracy of M1 Special 308

I've been toying with the idea of buying a M1 Special grade in 308. Knowing that they are not benchrest rifles, I'd like to know what kind of groups owners out there are getting with their rifles off sand bags, knapsacks, bench or what ever.
    BTW I do know what the best Garands are capabable of. I own a inherited Type I National Match that shoots unbelievable but I'm keeping in best condition to hand down. They can shoot better than I can hold. Thats what I'm looking for.
  • howardhuge
    • Dec 2009

Depends on what level of work you want to put into the rifle to get accuracy . My .308 rifle has but 120 rds through it..had to Iron out some small issues at first ( 40 rds worth...EnBlock jumping on the 4th or 5th rd) the rest have been 2 to 3 Inch with USGI while box ball M80 at 100yds. Expect to do some minor wood fitting on your new rifle...and change every spring in it. Anyway, thats mine. Shot to 300 yds and hit the 12 inch plate 5 out of 8 after a few sighters.

Comment

• rich56
      • Dec 2009

Thats what I want to hear

I have the books, can get the tools, think I have the skill, was a machinist 30 years. Did my share of wood too. Understant fit and tolerances. When it counts I have no problem handloading. Gotta decide to pull the trigger on it.

Comment

• howardhuge
        • Dec 2009

Rich56.... its Near Christmas....buy it. If you have a Sig 226 in good shape Ill buy it.... more then halfway way paid for then...I Solved your troubles.

Comment

• Bones3
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Hey Yo'
          *** REMOVED ***
          What's a donut-stuffer? Is it not OK to get a 50yd zero before going out to 100? Just asking.
          Last edited by Big_Red; 10-11-2017, 11:32 PM. Reason: Associated to above

Comment

• Shomway
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Bones3 View Post
            What's a donut-stuffer? Is it not OK to get a 50yd zero before going out to 100? Just asking.
            Aren't you glad you asked now.......
            31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
            Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Comment

• Bones3
              • Aug 2017

Thanks for the info. However, it told me just a little more than I really wanted to know.

Comment

• rich56
                • Dec 2009

LOL Thanks for the laugh Yo BUT!

YO ! In a kinder gentler way I kinda agree. I did say I understand a Garand is not a bench gun. That said. I requested info on best rested groups with your best ammo. I'd like to know the rifles capabilities. If I get the rifle it will be shot for fun and matches at up to the 300 yds I have available easy driving distance
                .PS. I don't put down any senior on the bench. My shooting partners have included my dad (a WWII Navy vet), uncle (post Korea Army) and a D-day vet.
                Young lead butts .... open game

Comment

• bruce
                  • Nov 2009

Do not own a M-1 Special grade in .308 Win. Do have a Danish M-1 that was sent to DGR for a rebarrel in .308 Win. and a trigger job. In a nicely fitted stock it will keep 10 rounds inside of 2 1/8 inches firing prone at 100 yds. using a sandbag under my forearm. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
                  <><

Comment

• 1hdrocks
                    • Oct 2009

Rich, I think you would be very happy with one. Received my first one in June of this year. Wanted to get one when they were available a couple years ago then they went out of stock. Had actually decided to have one of my 06's rebarrelled to 308 but couldn't decide which one, then they showed for sale again. Immediately ordered one. Up to this point it is the most accurate out of the box M1 I've received. Off the bench at 100 it shot a 2 1/2", 16 round group. Now to some folks that's not all that good but I thought, with a new M1 that I did nothing to except clean and grease it was pretty darn good. No woodwork, no trigger work, no fitting or fiddling whatsoever. That was with MEN 2016 147 grain ball. I'm confident that some handloads will improve this some. Needless to say glad I blew the $1030 on it. It's a hoot to shoot and when you get the chance to outshine the fella on the next bench with the 20x scoped .223 it'll make your day. I gotta go find some donuts ��

Comment

• Smf834
                      • Apr 2014

Run, don’t walk to get a 308 Garand. I think all the other 06 Garands in my safe are jealous because the 308 is almost always the first one i grab. It is soft shooting, inherently accurate, easy on the pocket, what more you want?

On the flip side, if you intend to shoot pass 500 yd, it will take some reloads, and some practice to know your up click, but i think you will really enjoy the experience.

Comment

• lapriester
                        • Oct 2009

As a Special all you'll really need to do is fit the stock to make it the most accurate Garand you own barring ownership of a NM. I have the best of both. A 308 Garand with all the possible NM mods done. Clean prone and rapid prone targets are the norm. Even with cheapo white box Federal M80 ammo it shoots 2 MOA or better.

Comment

• Tennboy
                          • Nov 2009

I don't have a Special, but my built-up Navy Mk2 Mod1 gets 8 rounds in 2-1/2" @ 100 yds on a good day with USGI surplus. (Too bad my 68-year-old bifocaled eyes don't have as many "good days" as they used to. ) I'll bet I can get a better group or better consistency with handloads, as I get the same groups with a high-condition .30-'06 Garand with casually (volume) loaded hand loads.

Comment

• mac1911
                            • Oct 2009

I recently built up a 308 from a poor shooting 30-06. Criterion barrel and the best fitting stock I had on hand. Best to spec op rod and gas cylinder, good trigger and all parts checked and everything snug that should be.
                            My first day out the 1st 10 rounds where 3moa
                            With a mild load of Varget and nosler 168s.
                            I'm sure with a nice stock and a little work on my load I can get it down to 2moa with out much effort. The thing is my skills are not getting better as I shoot less and also seeing less.
                            I will be shooting my first cmp modern military with it in Nov and can't wait to see how I do.
                            I'm trying to beat my best score on the as issued rifle the last 2 matches of the year...need to top a 277 5x.

Comment

• ceresco
                              • Oct 2009

Your CMP class will be "Unlimited M1 Garand". Modern Military, class B does not include M1s. Additionally, MM rifles must be "as issued". Good Shooting. ...

Comment

Working...
                              X