Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Default how does an 03A3 compare to...

the Swedish Mausers, Finnish rifles and even Swiss straight pulls?

I really have no idea what the 03A3 is capable of and I'm just trying to get a feel for it. Assume that the barrel is in good condition with a MW of 1 or less and quality hand loaded ammunition is used? Is 10 shots in 2.0 inches at 100 yards realistic for a capable shooter?

In terms of quality whats the trigger, sights and other stuff like?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the rifle...its so hard to do that without actually having one of your own!

Thanks for the input fellas,
Bill

edit: asking prices on the forum around 700-800 dolla bills?

Last edited by .22shooter; 08-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Depends on the rifle. I squeezed a 7/8 inch five shot group out of one of my '03A3s a few weeks back. That impressed me.

They are capable of incredible accuracy if you get a good one with the right ammo. I'd think a two inch 10 shot group is possible.

There was a clerk at Longs Drugs in Reno on south McClarren that had a cut out piece of target that was a ten shot group a little bigger than an inch from his '03. That was 10 years ago or so.

I use to buy components at that Long's drug store. Man have times changed.

Last edited by DJEinConcord; 08-16-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Best move would be to get one of the above and try it/them out. You won't regret any of them. Personally, I regret getting rid of the ones I had. I like the 03A3 a lot. Ditto the Swede and the Swiss. The MN's are good, but I don't feel they're in the class as the others. Check out the results at Camp Perry from year to year - compare scores of the "others" to the 03's. The 03A3 has it all over the others in its sights -- rear mounted peep vs open irons - beats them. That being said, the others are getting great scores at 200 yds in competition. The swede and 03 have basically the same trigger. Some complain about the lock time of the Swede, but you get old waiting for the 03's FP to get to the pirmer, too. Both are Mauser designs. I'd say you should strive to get that to inch group - it's up to you. The 03A3 will do its part if you do yours. I haven't shot the MN in a long time - and not a Finn. Somebody else will chime in on it.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
Best move would be to get one of the above and try it/them out. You won't regret any of them. Personally, I regret getting rid of the ones I had. I like the 03A3 a lot. Ditto the Swede and the Swiss. The MN's are good, but I don't feel they're in the class as the others. Check out the results at Camp Perry from year to year - compare scores of the "others" to the 03's. The 03A3 has it all over the others in its sights -- rear mounted peep vs open irons - beats them. That being said, the others are getting great scores at 200 yds in competition. The swede and 03 have basically the same trigger. Some complain about the lock time of the Swede, but you get old waiting for the 03's FP to get to the pirmer, too. Both are Mauser designs. I'd say you should strive to get that to inch group - it's up to you. The 03A3 will do its part if you do yours. I haven't shot the MN in a long time - and not a Finn. Somebody else will chime in on it.
Thanks for the reply. I have both the Swiss and the Finn and both shoot honest 2MOA groups at 100 yards. Who knows probably better with a good bench shooter (something that evades me)

My issue is with the costs of reloadable brass which is why I am considering ditching both and going A3.

Bill
Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
I haven't shot the MN in a long time - and not a Finn. Somebody else will chime in on it.
The Finnish Mosin...especially the M28, M28/30 and M39 are usually light years ahead of Russian Mosins in the accuracy department.

In good condition, the Finnish Mosin, the Swedish Mauser, the Swiss 1911 and K31 are all capable of accuracy on a par with an equally good condition 03A3, imo.

The windage adjustable peep sight, of course, does give the 03A3 an advantage, particularly at longer distances.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 PM

A good 03A3 will shoot with any of the usual CMP Vintage bolt rifles. Swapping enough trigger/bolt parts or a trigger job will get you to an excellent trigger. I like the 1903 triggers over the A3 trigger because it is longer and fits the finger better. Good handloads, proper attention to stock fit, a good barrel, reduction of the aperture size and a mechanically sound rear sight, clean up the front sight blade--you are in business. I have shot 9x in CMP SP with 110gr Hornady Spire pt loads in mine--butt plate slipped on one. Definately one of my very favorite rifles. Good Shooting.......
Old 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22shooter View Post
Is 10 shots in 2.0 inches at 100 yards the realistic for a capable shooter?
Yes, and even better. I made Master in 1973 shooting an 03A3, cast bullets at 200 and 300, Sierra 168's at 600. The only "enhancements" the rifle had at that time were a "C" stock, milled guard/mag assembly, and a Lyman 48 rear sight with Merit iris.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"

Last edited by Bob S; 08-16-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Assuming all the rifles being discussed here are completely stock - then how do they shake out, on average, in terms of accuracy with standard milsurp ammo? I'd suspect the K31 with GP-11 ammo would come out on top.

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Assuming all the rifles being discussed here are completely stock - then how do they shake out, on average, in terms of accuracy with standard milsurp ammo? I'd suspect the K31 with GP-11 ammo would come out on top.
Definitely. You can't beat an "out of the box" or "standard issue" K31. Once improved sights and ammunition is introduced its anyone's game. I've found that my K31 and M39 are equal in terms of accuracy. Actually they both print exactly 2MOA (with me on the trigger anyway).

Bill

edit: Thanks for the insight on the A3 guys. It really does help. Keep it comin if you have something to add

Last edited by .22shooter; 08-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM

I think the best way to tell how the 1903A3 shoots compaired to other vintage rifles is to check the results of the CMP Games at Perry.

Look at the Top Scores of the Springfield Match and compare them to the top scores of the Vintage Military Matches.