Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Default 03a3 misfires

I have a 03 that seems to shoot some ammo without a hitch and others will misfire . I am assuming the problem is in the striker or the striker spring as I can put the same misfired ammo in my Garand and it will fire with out fail . So , how do I determine if it is the striker or the spring ? Thank you , Kenneth
Old 08-05-2012, 02:49 PM

some times the bolt assembly get packed full of old grease / crud and slows the stricker down to make a miss fire. also the spring and stricker are cheap, you should have them anyway.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Have you had the bolt apart. I've seen many that the spring was completely packed with dried cosmoline. It took full disassembly of the entire assembly to get it all out.

Larry
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM

The advice others have posted is good. Also its a good idea to dismantle the bolt and measure the free length of the mainspring. Disassembled it should be 5 5/8" in length.

For a downloadable copy of the Springfield Ordnance http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerd...pringfield.pdf

You want to scroll down to para 29 for the bolt group.

Also be aware that when Springfield firing pins break it is usually in the flanged area where the striker connects to the firing pin not the point of the striker.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by jgaynor; 08-05-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jeep View Post
some times the bolt assembly get packed full of old grease / crud and slows the stricker down to make a miss fire. also the spring and stricker are cheap, you should have them anyway.
I keep spares and have a Wolff 20# spring in both mine, but the standard spring is fine, as long as all the gunk is cleaned out. Both mine were packed with gunk, one from the CMP and the other from a private sale. Just cleaning them I noticed better locktime.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM

A common M'03-A3 misfire problem can be traced to the stock, which keeps the bolt from closing all the way. A common M'03-A3 factory and field modification involved grinding a taper on the stock underneath the bolt handle so the bolt would close all the way.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Default Leaving it cocked

Hokey doke , thanks for the input , I will look into the culprits as suggested . You are right about the stock , I wasn't aware of it being a 03 problem . I sent an Anshutz to a very popular Annie smith once to have a bench gun built . When I got it back it was misfiring , at the time there was another smith on the range and he advised me to bring by his shop after we finnished . He found that the stock had not been inletted enough for the bolt to close all the way . He gave it a proper inletting and it was a reliable gun after that . Was the only time I ran into this and it didn't dawn on me that this might be the problem . I will look into it , again thanks to all , Kenneth
Old 08-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Exclamation

Even modern bolt guns like the 700 Remington will misfire and have a light primer strike if the bolt is not fully closed when you pull the trigger. They also need proper inletting if you install a replacement stock such as a Boyd's laminate or like stock that's "semi-inletted"

Larry
Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Turned out it was the spring , installed 20# wolf spring and so far everything is firing . Thanks for all the replies , Kenneth
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM

I supose this is kind of elemental......what did the primers look like on the FTF rounds???????? Good Shooting.......