Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Default A1 stock legitimate?

I'm looking for a stock, is this one the real thing?

Thanks!
Chad

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=161541331663
Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Banned

It looks good enough to convince me to start looking for others to compare it to regarding the butt plate. Butt plates I've seen in person haven't been as crisp as that one. I like the slide channel area and a few other things.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 PM

I think it's a nice stock { rebuild } channel mark & pistol grip mark { good } like tenOC the butt plate marks are very pronounced { almost too nice } wish mine was that nice. Only other thing I saw is I'm not sure about the stock cut on the right side where it goes from high down to low, makes me wonder if it was a high wood cut down. Do a search and compare it to others. Chris
Old 12-31-2014, 10:25 PM

Hi guys,
That's my stock, so I'm happy to send any pics or more info if you want. As I mentioned on eBay, I said that based on the circled P on the back of the stock, I think it was the earlier highwood cut down to low wood. If any of you want to see it before the auction ends on Tues., I would be happy to let you examine it. And Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys....and thanks for chiming in Rob. Do you have any other info on the stock?

Thanks!
Chad
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 PM

PM replied to. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob W. View Post
Hi guys,
That's my stock,
I've bought two Carbine from Rob in the past and both were as he described.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Those are some sweet looking butt plates ten. Love the CMP one and the last one which is almost completely illegible.

Some reference pics for the OP. Positions 4, 6, 8 and 12. The 4 is almost impossible to read unless the light is just right.

Pistol Grip (Bottom)-OI and Crossed Cannons Cartouche Marking

Pistol Grip (Bottom)-RI/3 Marking

Pistol Grip (Bottom)-Crossed Cannons Cartouche Marking

Pistol Grip (Front)-P marking

Stock
Back-Circled P marking

Butt Plates

Wire Stock/Cheek Piece

Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited by m1a1fan; 02-03-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Default Butt Plate Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenOC View Post
It looks good enough to convince me to start looking for others to compare it to regarding the butt plate. Butt plates I've seen in person haven't been as crisp as that one. I like the slide channel area and a few other things.
I have in my collection a mint, unused, spare low wood M1A1 stock assembly. I acquired this stock many years ago on a "chance" sale on ebay from a seller in Italy. The "chance" I took is I knew if the seller never sent the stock to me there was nothing I could do about it. Back in those days there was no "ebay protection" of any kind. The amazing thing about this stock is that it came "in the wrapper" along with Ordinance DWG. & PC. MK. and Item Code numbers on the Inland wrapper. This "Stock Folding Assembly Gun, U.S. Carbine Cal 30 M1A1" has a butt plate casting clearer than the current listing on ebay. The only difference is the number after the wheel, this stocks number after the wheel is "4". Interestingly a 12-42 dated M1A1 I have has an almost unreadable cast number except for the number after the wheel, that number is "12".

http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/bu.../M1A1%20Rivets
I also think this is the "different"butt plate that is being referred to.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78517575.jpg
Old 01-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Banned

http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/bu.../M1A1%20Rivets
I also think this is the "different"butt plate that is being referred to.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78517575.jpg[/QUOTE]

Maybe. Are those from thumper's account? I'd almost swear I remember it being embossed with a very blockish, thick font. Hopefully thumper will still have pics to show what his thread was speaking about. Could be I'm mixing the memory with a fake embossed I saw. Or maybe a Greek one. Either way, more examples are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I have in my collection a mint, unused, spare low wood M1A1 stock assembly. I acquired this stock many years ago on a "chance" sale on ebay from a seller in Italy. The "chance" I took is I knew if the seller never sent the stock to me there was nothing I could do about it. Back in those days there was no "ebay protection" of any kind. The amazing thing about this stock is that it came "in the wrapper" along with Ordinance DWG. & PC. MK. and Item Code numbers on the Inland wrapper. This "Stock Folding Assembly Gun, U.S. Carbine Cal 30 M1A1" has a butt plate casting clearer than the current listing on ebay. The only difference is the number after the wheel, this stocks number after the wheel is "4". Interestingly a 12-42 dated M1A1 I have has an almost unreadable cast number except for the number after the wheel, that number is "12".
The 11 is the clearest I've noted. The "8" I photo'd is pretty good and is also an unused M1A1. That's what I'd use to compare to the 11 of Rob's. When something looks fake, you don't have to compare it. But when it looks good enough, a person should compare it to a known good one to eliminate all doubt and confirm it. Some known fake examples would be great in this thread.