Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC
Default Wrong title on listing 4365

Auction listing 4365, M1 carbine serial no. 4828122 is listed as an Underwood carbine. This is in the Quality Hardware range and I am not aware of any line-out transfers in that range. The barrel is a 2-44 Underwood barrel, but I strongly suspect this is a Quality Hardware carbine. The trigger housing and some of the trigger housing parts are listed as Quality Hardware so this makes sense that it is Quality Hardware.

The receiver stampings should be closely inspected and the title should be changed if this is truly a Quality Hardware. If it is a rare line-out transfer, that information should be added to the auction description.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM

If it’s Quality Hardware it will have a spring tube receiver. Too bad they don’t show a picture of the action out of the stock!!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 AM

I wonder if it isn't a QH finished Underwood. It looks like a light Q marked on the heel of the receiver.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

The 2-44 Underwood barrel is one of several barrels that might be expected on a 4.84 million QHMC.

For some reason it seems like the serial number is stuck a little further under the rear sight than normal. Maybe that is my imagination or the way the pictures were taken. Also, it almost looks like the back portion of the receiver has been polished extra smooth. Interesting looking carbine, but not enough for me to bid on it.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
The 2-44 Underwood barrel is one of several barrels that might be expected on a 4.84 million QHMC.

For some reason it seems like the serial number is stuck a little further under the rear sight than normal. Maybe that is my imagination or the way the pictures were taken. Also, it almost looks like the back portion of the receiver has been polished extra smooth. Interesting looking carbine, but not enough for me to bid on it.
The hidden numbering is also a possible clue that it was an Underwood receiver. The pictures I have seen of QH M1s in that range have the numbers closer to the heel. Underwood supplied receivers to a number of others to finish. Some even keeping their Underwood number. One of the reasons so many Carbines ere produced in such a short time was because the makers swapped parts as needed between them to get the job done.