Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 AM

Default New vs Once Fired Brass

I currently have no reloading equipment but need to load approx. 230 30-06. I don't intend to ever load after these 230.
Given that once fired military brass will need to be deprimed, resized, and cleaned which requires purchasing additional equipment - is there any reason for me not to just purchase 230 new commercial shells? These would be ready to be primed, filled, and bullets inserted without any additional work - I presume??

If there are no disadvantages to commercial brass, other than cost, can a brand be recommended? I don't believe commercial brass has the tempered neck.
Thanks.

Edit - perhaps I should have given more explanation. I have plenty of new commercial M1 safe ammo (Hornady, Federal, Privi Partizan).
I have 230 pulled AP bullets to reload. They're for fun and to keep in my reserve supply and I will not need a worked-up load (will use 47-47.5 gr of IMR 4064). Already have a very small quantity of LC & TW surplus AP from the CMP but want some fresher rounds. Also already have the IMR powder, CCI primers, and a scale.
Hope to purchase the necessary equipment used, use them, and then resell. I'm retired and have plenty of time.

To my original question(s) -
1. is there any disadvantage to using new commercial brass vs cleaned and prepped military surplus?
2. Recommendation on the brand of commercial brass?
3. Looked at new Hornady brass and the necks didn't appear to be annealed; is this necessary or desirable for my purposes?
Thanks.

Last edited by Robert C Wind; 01-11-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 AM

Robert,
You might want to consider purchasing remanufactured or new ammo. There is a certain skill set that is required plus equipment to reload/load rifle ammunition.

Just need 230 rounds to have around? Consider some surplus or lower cost ammo.
Bolt gun or Garand?

Vic
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 AM

It's not worth buying any equipment at all if all you are going to do is load 230 rounds and then stop forever. Just buy some commercial ammo and be done with it, or US milsurp if you can find any and it meets your needs. 30-06 ammo can be had at reasonable prices if you shop around.

Why 230? Once you start shooting you will be hooked, then you will happily spend your treasure on gobs of reloading equipment.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 AM

Plenty of commercial brass is annealed.

Just a suggestion, for 230 rnds I would suggest picking up commercial ammo and be done with it.
RVN 67-68
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM

I edited my first post. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Robert: find someone near you who handloads. You want your AP loaded into good 30-06 brass. Easy job for almost anyone who shoots CMP matches. Your questionns: 1 primed brass is available. No disadvantages to new brass 2. Any will be OK for one loading 3. Forget the annealing, doesn't matter if it is buffed off or not. Good Shooting. ..

Last edited by ceresco; 01-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM

I know it's probably too far but I live near Dayton, OH., and if you get down this way you are welcome to use my equipment to reload your AP.

Two other things.
Just because it's new brass doesn't mean it doesn't need to be resized--or a neck resize. There's a good chance of dented/banged up, or too large or too small necks. I've experienced all three issues over the years. But the more expensive the brass, the less there are of these issues.

In my early days of reloading, I thought I could load up some AP using the powder charge I used for a same weight bullet. Mistake. The AP bullets that I had were longer than the same weight bullet. Meaning more friction and a fractionally longer time in the barrel = more pressure. I only fired one round. Gave me a good kick and cratered the primer. Pulled all the AP bullets. Your planned load of 47 grains is pretty much a max load for a Hornaday 168 grain A-max bullet. I measured and compared the A-max to the AP since they are roughly the same weight:
Length - A-max 1.282, AP 1.370
Part of bullet that touches the rifling in barrel - A-max 0.434, AP 0,769
Garands are tough rifles but unless you've tested that load, on paper it looks like you would be going past max pressure.

Jerry
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Jerry - thanks for the info and generous offer, probably too far away.

Good info you provided. I came up with 47-47.5gr based on historical recommendation comments found here on the Forum.

Here's my inexperience showing - wouldn't the AP bullets be seated deeper into the case to a depth resulting in the overall 30-06 allowed length? I don't believe 47gr is a full case load therefore the powder won't be compressed?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM

When I purchase new brass, I will F/L size it for the first reload then neck size thereafter (except for my Garand). I think the minimum equipment would be a simple press, a set of dies, some method to measure powder, measuring tools and manuals/texts, which would safely answer your powder charge and OAL questions. Not normally an inexpensive out lay for 230 rounds (or even 1,000). A very simple set would be a Lee Loader but the new brass should be full length sized (shipping damage and occasional near max manufacturing tolerances can and do happen requiring a run through a sizing die). As recommended above, a purchase of the specific ammo you want is a better solution in the long run...
Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM

PM sent.