Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM

Default The one scope

Hello to all and again in need of advise. I've complected the installation of a steel Sadlak scope mount. No problem what so ever. Now I'm looking for that one scope that will get me through my shooting years. I'm 66. First some data:
1). Let say my budget for scope alone is $600; 2) The occasions of a 1,000 yard shot on steel won't be frequent but 500-600 yards will be frequent.3) Hunting will be minimal as she's just to heavy. 3) I'm concerned about hold over; 4) durability is paramount 5) lens clarity edge to edge important.6) staying zeroed critical (I'm a one handed shooter leaving the other behind in Da Nang).7) Water proof same with fog.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Joe
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 PM

I would talk to Vortex. Great stuff, great people and they love veterans. A good friend of mine is a disabled vet, and when they heard his story, he got an awesome deal.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
I would talk to Vortex. Great stuff, great people and they love veterans. A good friend of mine is a disabled vet, and when they heard his story, he got an awesome deal.
thanks, I talked with Vortex and had a good conversation. Never mentioned the RVN stuff. So far Yhe top two are Vortex and Nikon
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM

I've got a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on my M1A and love it. Mine has the mrad reticle but you can also get it in mil dot. The first focal plane feature makes it great for long range shooting. If you served in the military (which you did) you get a 40% discount from Optics Planet. I paid $299 with free shipping with mine.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkick View Post
I've got a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on my M1A and love it. Mine has the mrad reticle but you can also get it in mil dot. The first focal plane feature makes it great for long range shooting. If you served in the military (which you did) you get a 40% discount from Optics Planet. I paid $299 with free shipping with mine.
Good feedback. I'm looking at the Diamond Back Tactical. Haven't looked at Optics Plant. As a one handed shooter, (fortunately left hand) dialing a scope in is a bit challenging.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 PM

I have a Springfield loaded M1A.With a Leupold Mark4 4.5-14 with the Springfield mount. She only gets fed M118 match and shoots very good groups. I had the A.R.M.S mount on it before the Springfield, that just would not work well
Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 AM

I do a lot of experimenting with different optics and for considerably less that your budgeted amount Hi Lux has some interesting products. This 6-30x56mm was a special for Sportsmans Guide a short time ago. I shot many 10 rnd groups in the .75 moa range with it.
I didn't leave any parts at Danang in 1967 other than some pride while visiting the Hospital there as a patient.

RVN 67-68