Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 PM

Personally I would be proud to own just about every Garand I've seen on the auction site. I have a good idea what each auction rifle is worth and if it's something I really want I'm willing to pay a small premium for it. On the other hand I ask myself how much I could privately buy the same rifle for then when the auction bid exceeds that price by very much I'm done bidding. Also, if it's similar to a rifle that I've seen in south store before and if available I would buy it from there I factor in the 10% sales tax and part of my travel cost in what I'm willing to pay.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 AM

You will find just about every item on the CMP auction is overpriced. If its to high for you move on.
I have never seen so much complaining and whining on this forum lately, everyone thinks they are entitled
Old 10-24-2018, 05:20 PM

Default Can't help but wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
You will find just about every item on the CMP auction is overpriced. If its to high for you move on.
I have never seen so much complaining and whining on this forum lately, everyone thinks they are entitled
I agree with you, Orlando, and I wonder if the whiners have ever bothered to bid on anything at auction. I am inclined to think that most of this is coming from people with far too much time on their hands and no money in their pockets.
I know, someone should beat me up for writing this....
Old 10-24-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
This is not a charity auction. I still maintain that if you want to donate to the CMP you should just mail them a check and stay out of the auctions so as to not screw the rest of us that might actually want the item that you are bidding on.

GuapoPogi
And suppose these people do want them. I have been out bid on both 4648 and 4649. You'll note that the ones for sale in the store say they may be taped. That means opened at some point. These units are unopened.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
If I am wrong I would appreciate someone educating me as to the difference between the auction M10 and the store M10. If I am right and there is no difference, tell me how this is not screwing with the auction system.

GuapoPogi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
And suppose these people do want them. I have been out bid on both 4648 and 4649. You'll note that the ones for sale in the store say they may be taped. That means opened at some point. These units are unopened.
Then they would be different and I can see how the one auctioned would be worth more to some collectors. Pay $16.95 and hope you are not wasting money on one you donít want because it was opened, or bid high on one that is guaranteed not to be opened. Two different animals. I bought one early this year from the store and could not say for sure if it was taped or still factory sealed not but I was buying it to use the tool so it having been opened and resealed would not have bothered me. I only cared that it was complete a complete kit. Collecting vs using.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 AM

I have made 6 purchases on the auction. I have lost twice as many. I typically have a set limit in my mind and bid up to that limit. On a couple of them I am sure I paid a little to much, but I got what I wanted and I can afford it. If I over paid, that is my kids problem. They can figure out what to do with the collection after I am gone. Until them I am loving it.
Quote:
This is not a charity auction. I still maintain that if you want to donate to the CMP you should just mail them a check and stay out of the auctions so as to not screw the rest of us that might actually want the item that you are bidding on.

GuapoPogi
Charity/Non-Profit - tomato/tamato.

Last edited by krdomingue; 10-25-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-25-2018, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
+1 on all counts.
And maybe the good ol' sinister "something that is going on" is merely as simple as new personnel running the auction, coupled with limited stock (not the first time), whether you want to see it or not.
Thanks to Steelap for factual, and reasoned responses.

OP's question asked/answered...

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Closed Thread