Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 PM

Default Checking in from the New England Games

Arrived Tuesday afternoon. Checked in and went right to the range for a GSMM match. My schedule got messed up and wasn't on the relay list so had to reschedule that match for Friday afternoon. Weather has been beautiful. Mornings are in the mid 40's at sun rise and peak at 70. I shot the EIC match yesterday or in my case MIC ( mediocrity in competition). Had a great time anyway. Many outstanding shooters from all over. Saw license plates from Colorado, Virginia, and Georgia plus the CMP crew from Anniston. Took the high power rifle range officer and M1 maintenance course. Carbine ,1911 , M&P and GSMM matches tomorrow and 4 GSMM's on Saturday. I'm staying on sight and have a 24 bunk room to myself. This is my forth year and CMP and VSRPA have done another outstanding job this year as in the past. I hope members that have not yet made it to this event put it on their list for next year. Eddie
Old 09-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the report. The New England games are very high on my bucket list. Looks like such a beautiful range and at the perfect time of year.

Being just after the National Matches, it has so far been impossible for me to swing a second cross country trip to make it there, but I will, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:39 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Yes, nice report, thanks. Makes me itch to travel out there one day.

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II
Old 09-22-2019, 12:28 PM

Well I arrived home a few hours ago from Camp Ethan Allen. I managed to just squeak out a Bronze medal with my 1903. Shooting Carbine my hat bill hit my front sight forward and my shots went low on rapid prone. Missed a Bronze by one point. M1, 03A3 and M1917 I had cross fires and misses and the M48 Mauser I just didn't shoot well. I feel like the Chuck Knoblouch of rifle shooters. I had a fantastic time as usual and am looking forward to next year. At the awards ceremony Christine said this was the best year so far for attendance. Looks like the word is getting around. Many thanks to both the CMP and VSRPA for their time and effort they put into organizing this match. Eddie

Last edited by epm729; 09-22-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:32 PM

New England games at Jericho ,Vermont is #1 of all the travel games for accommodations
( very affordable),scenery,weather,( great meal)ease of travel getting there.This one is going to continue to grow.The Vermont R&P group really put forth 100% to make it work.Chris ( tall guy) and Geezer winner really busts his butt to make it happen.
Don’t miss this one next year.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy Send a message via Yahoo to muddy
Default CMP Vermont 2019

Quick summary of my experience starts with a huge thank you to the CMP for hosting the recent Vermont games. I am recently retired and thought now that I have some freedom it would be fun to attend the match in Vermont. It was a good decision. Everything about the match was excellent. The pace was low key and there was lots of time to visit and talk with the CMP staff at all levels. The seminars were excellent and the ranges were well run. The electronic targets are amazing. Can't wait for them to show up at Perry. Not that I don't like pit duty but I do like being able to shoot 3 matches in a long morning as opposed to 2 in an entire day. The targets worked perfectly. The barracks were spotless and quiet and the commissary was reasonably priced and the food plentiful and very good! Camp Ethan Allen is located in the mountains of Northern Vermont and it is a beautiful spot. I felt a bit bad for and teased the armorers who set up in the shade for rifle inspections starting at dawn and had to deal with a hard frost Thursday as they worked. The guys from Alabama did just fine in the cold and never complained (out loud) even though it had to be after 9am before the sun rose over the trees. I met up with lots of friends old and new. I am always impressed with the diversity of interesting people that attend our matches- great folks with shared interests. Only a few matches on Thursday afternoon but the shooters only CMP store event filled the afternoon perfectly. Store staff was terrific and friendly and busy. Looked like everyone that went in came out carrying something heavy. I found an amazing Winchester with a 0,1 Win barrel reading and lock bar sights with a well worn Win stock. That find was worth the trip alone. My matches went great and conditions were perfect- bright sun and cool air with very light wind. I medalled with the 03A3 but not with the Garand (I was close). Wish I could have stayed longer to shoot on Saturday but the world called me back! Looks like Iíll just have to go back next year. Thank you CMP for running an excellent match in a fine location.