Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 PM

If you like getting 'all ghillied up,' go for it. Others have. Nothing like a flame-retardant wookie suit in THAT heat.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 PM

I've only shot vintage sniper at Perry. Just about every year there's at least a couple guys that get all decked out....and they must be absolutely miserably hot. It makes me uncomfortable just looking at them. But it is kinda cool and they get a lot of attention. It's a great way to get your picture in the annual rifle results book.

Rick, in my opinion, aside from the gear I already mentioned I'd like to see the rules prohibit anything designed to provide artificial support etc etc. I'd like to see it really about the shooter, not the gear, as Mark mentioned in the announcement. As you stated though, mine would be just one of the 100 different opinions if you asked 100 people. I'm very comfortable with, and accept the fact that I'm in the minority with my opinion. The guys I shoot with are positively sick of hearing me go on about it. I think at most they may prohibit such items from the games matches since they're "fun" matches. I don't think hard core service rifle shooters would ever go for it.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlucas0311 View Post
Rick, I understand your point and actually kind of agree. I guess I'd just like to see service rifle go "back to basics". Whichever past or present service rifle, a web sling, a mat, and maybe even a leather glove w/ or w/o the wool glove liner. Just like boot camp or yearly qual for many. I've always considered match rifle to be the place for all the "stuff" for those that want to shoot that way. I don't think there's currently a very big difference between the two.
I do agree with this, esp for the CMP 'games.' Come as you are...but too many walked over from the 'matches' with their stuff...I love seeing the JCG game shooters with the freaky little eyeglasses with special lenses in the bottom corner, and their 'do not touch' scrawled on the masking tape on the front handguard.

I would love to leave my jacket behind (less to hump to Viale), but when I went up nearly 40 points (of the 300 total) the first year I wore it, I guess I understood why.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
If you like getting 'all ghillied up,' go for it. Others have. Nothing like a flame-retardant wookie suit in THAT heat.

I agree the ghilley suit is a bit much....in vintage sniper I was thinking more like the standard​ Military field jacket for the time period of the rifle your shooting.

Last edited by AzMedic; 05-17-2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: verbage
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlucas0311 View Post
I've only shot vintage sniper at Perry. Just about every year there's at least a couple guys that get all decked out....and they must be absolutely miserably hot. It makes me uncomfortable just looking at them. But it is kinda cool and they get a lot of attention. It's a great way to get your picture in the annual rifle results book.

Rick, in my opinion, aside from the gear I already mentioned I'd like to see the rules prohibit anything designed to provide artificial support etc etc. I'd like to see it really about the shooter, not the gear, as Mark mentioned in the announcement. As you stated though, mine would be just one of the 100 different opinions if you asked 100 people. I'm very comfortable with, and accept the fact that I'm in the minority with my opinion. The guys I shoot with are positively sick of hearing me go on about it. I think at most they may prohibit such items from the games matches since they're "fun" matches. I don't think hard core service rifle shooters would ever go for it.
Mike, The guys with the ghillie suits look like guys who are intent on getting lots of attention and pay for it by being miserable. Fair enough.

I think that it makes perfect sense to only allow canvas jackets for the games matches but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen. When I go to the pop-up rifle matches, I wear a current issue ACU jacket with the elbow inserts. It works great for that sort of shooting.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM

The equipment allowed issue has changed with changing times. No one is forced to trick out rifle to max or wear any jacket. So to point of thread- jackets with a stiff back is being looked at. Seems the jacket in question is Monard. I purchased a Monard but also looked at Creedmoor. Reason I went to Monard was the totally customs fit as I am short and stocky. A Creedmoor was better than NRA jacket but Monard was much better fit than Creedmoor for me. The back of the Monard is flexible and is some layered canvas like material. So this is the issue allowing what type of back stiffness would be allowed. With all other modifications allowed to the rifle this rule seems to be petty and punitive to a manufacturer.