Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Default Scope heigth

Mounted a
30mm scope on my A4 type upper. The mount put the "center line"of the scope about 1.55 inches above the rifles picatinny rail. I found that this scope heigth was very comfortable in offhand- not so much in prone. I could not get any kind of a cheek weld or stable head position on the stock. My neck hurt from trying to hold my head up.
Switched to a mount that is about 1.3 inches centerline from the top of the rail- this seems to be ideal for me-not as high as the A2 irons and an easier to maintain cheek weld-head position. Moral of the story is lower is better / for me anyway. I think I could get a lower mount with a 1" scope- but would probably sacrifice eye relief.
The scope I am using is a 1X-4X. Eye relief increases enough at 1X that I should be able to shoot it with the standard A2 stock and not have to go to an adjustable- or that is the theory I have now. Eye relief is a plus in this regard.
I have a scope cap with a peephole in it that I am going to try to use at 600 when I get the opportunity.
Just thought I would share some observations- THANKS
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 PM

1.3" seems to be the most common height. I used an A2 stock last year with optics and didn't feel like it was an issue.