Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Is your sub-inspection stamps similar to these?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 AM

Similar, there are three "2" stamps just forward of the magazine floor.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
This is correct. Apologies for being unclear in the title. It should have read "Do you guys think the metal on this rifle has been reparkwrozed, or is it the original finish?", but I was in a hurry.
Ahh. Makes sense.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 PM

From what I understand the greenish tint is hare to replicate. Some think that the tint came from being packed in cosmoline during long-term storage.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Another idea is the post-Parkerizing chemical dips that were used after the Parkerizing itself may have added to the greenish tint. It has been suggested that those chemicals are now environmentally taboo, things like a chromate solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
From what I understand the greenish tint is hare to replicate. Some think that the tint came from being packed in cosmoline during long-term storage.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM

While I am not an expert by any means, I always look at the original stamps and rolls on the metal and GUESS if a weapon has been refinished. I can not tell from the photos you posted because they do not show clear close ups of things like the serial number. It is true there is very little wear, but I also see clear edges on the digits of the serial numbers. And that is what we can judge by. Re-park as a tendency to fill n the stamps just a little bit. Do the stamps and rolls have sharp, clear edges to them. If they do, you may have an original finish. If the edges are going (added to that little visual use) you can bet it has been refinished.

Just my two cents...
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM

And a good two cents it is!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Retired View Post
While I am not an expert by any means, I always look at the original stamps and rolls on the metal and GUESS if a weapon has been refinished. I can not tell from the photos you posted because they do not show clear close ups of things like the serial number. It is true there is very little wear, but I also see clear edges on the digits of the serial numbers. And that is what we can judge by. Re-park as a tendency to fill n the stamps just a little bit. Do the stamps and rolls have sharp, clear edges to them. If they do, you may have an original finish. If the edges are going (added to that little visual use) you can bet it has been refinished.

Just my two cents...
While I would generally agree that a refinished gun will typically have less defined edges on numbers, that usually has a lot to do with the metal prep. If someone is careless with a sand blaster, then it's obvious, but taking your time with a less etch-prone media will typically leave a parked guns roll marks intact and sharp. The worst ones are when people try to reblue a gun and polish the hell out of it, which ruins roll marks and the hard lines of a gun.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM

So after going back and taking a look at the rifle, I can freely admit that I was mistaken. Here are the stamps on the bottom.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
So after going back and taking a look at the rifle, I can freely admit that I was mistaken. Here are the stamps on the bottom.

Well as I'm sure you know, those markings are not correct SC sub-inspection stamps. The scant stock would be a replacement, as we thought.
Are you looking to buy this 03A3? If the price is right and you are only looking for a shooter, could be a nice rifle. If you are looking for a correct/original 03A3, this isn't the one.