Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Default I need help with values on some parts.

I have a bunch of parts that I have acquired from stripping a commercial carbine and correcting a couple of carbines and some I bought awhile ago for unfinished projects. I am not looking to sell any of the parts but I am trying to establish the rough value of them so if I fall over dead my wife will know what the parts are and not just toss them thinking they are junk. I plan to live for a few more decades but just in case I'm trying to get stuff like this done for the collectibles and stuff I've got around the house. I know value is partially dependent on condition but I am just looking for a ballpark. No one would want her to toss my Type II American Swiss Barrel Band would they?

I bought a box of 2"x 3" zip-lock bags and I'm inserting a little card with details into the bags with the parts. The card looks like

M1 Carbine
Trigger
Type II
Quality Hardware
LT-Q

Under the part code I want to put a value.

So there are 20 some odd parts I've got.

1. Type II Trigger Spring
2. Oiler IS
3. Extractor Spring
4. Type II Trigger NPM SN
5. Type II Trigger Quality Hardware LT-Q
6. Type I Sear NPM SW-N
7. Type III Extractor IN
8. Type IV Safety H.T.
9. Type I Ejector
10. Butt Plate Screw
11. Ejector Spring (in original Inland envelope)
12. Type IV Magazine Catch Inland HI
13. Type III Recoil Plate Underwood AU
14. Type IIA Magazine Catch Saginaw SG
15. Type I Front Sight N
16. Gas Piston Inland PI
17. Type I Rear Sight IBM IN B (might be reproduction) what is the value of a repro price and what is the value of an original?
18. Type I Front Sight N (no wings)
19. Type VI Trigger Housing Inland (original M2)
20. Type II Barrel Band Inland AS (American Swiss)
21. Type II Magazine Catch/Safety Plunger
22. Type II Gas Piston Nut
23. Type IA Barrel Band; Band unmarked, Swivel marked U(probably reproduction) what is the value of a repro and what is the value of an original?

Thank you to anyone that helps me with this.

GuapoPogi
Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM

At the rate that parts prices are going up at best the info you put on the card will be good for 6 - 12 months ( If that)

An example is you could find trigger housing for $50 - $75 a year ago . How it is really hard to find anything in that price range.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 PM

Even if the estimates are only good for awhile they would be helpful. It would be no big deal if my wife tosses the extractor spring but that IIA SG Mag Catch is small and worthless looking and the Type II AS Barrel Band might look like garbage to the unknowing. I expect to have the Type II on a carbine in a year or so when I get around to finding an Inland in that SN range with an original barrel in my price range. I expect to trade that IIA Mag Catch for a part I need for correcting that Inland or my Winnie. I just want to protect this stuff in case I die unexpectedly. If I get hit by a bus tonight and those parts would probably get junked by her or given away to a friend that doesn't know and M1 Carbine from an M1 tank and he would probably toss them.

GuapoPogi
Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM

Go to the parts houses and use 90% of their average. Northridge, Sarco, GPC, etc.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Just tell her if something happens to you, not to throw anything away and to make sure her new boyfriend signs onto this forum. Problem solved. That would include not only death, but things like forced conscription into the foreign legion, a bump on the head causing amnesia and getting hopelessly lost, hiding from the government or the mafia, alien abduction, and being stranded on a remote island.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 05-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Default value of some spare parts

As opposed to her throwing it all away, she can always sell the stuff as a parts-lot. You have a few valuable or potentially valuable parts in that stash, but several that are not worth trying to attach a current-day value to. People drop into gun shows all the time with boxes of parts and ammo that they have no idea about what it is, or the value. It is possible she can get ripped-off....but it beats throwing it all in the trash.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 PM

I looked around here, Gunbroker, Northridge... and came up with values for most of the stuff but I still have a few of the rarer pieces that I need help with.

1. Type I Rear Sight IBM IN B (might be reproduction). I figure this is worth maybe $25 if it is a reproduction, but what would it be worth if it is real?

2. Type VI Trigger Housing Inland (original M2 with inverted Inland)

3. Type II Barrel Band Inland AS (American Swiss)

4. Type IA Barrel Band; Band unmarked, Swivel marked U (probably reproduction) I figure if it is a reproduction it is worth $15 but what would it be worth if it is real?

5 Type IIA Mag Catch Saginaw SG (I cannot find any for sale anywhere to establish a value).

6. Type I front sight. ( I cannot find any for sale at the moment to establish a value except River Bank which claims $145, which sounds crazy high to me.)

Any help would be appreciated.

GuapoPogi
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Nice WW2 front sights seem to be in the $40 range give or take and depending on the maker. I have found them cheaper on occasion. RIA marked and other 60's contract USGI are normally priced less if you can find them. Pretty hard to come by in any case

Can u post pics of your band and flipper?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Nice WW2 front sights seem to be in the $40 range give or take and depending on the maker. I have found them cheaper on occasion. RIA marked and other 60's contract USGI are normally priced less if you can find them. Pretty hard to come by in any case

Can u post pics of your band and flipper?

Here are some pics I just took, they are not great but I'm sure the experts can tell from these pics if the pieces are repros.

GuapoPogi
Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 AM

The flip sight is a very obvious repro

the band grouping is throwing off red flags to me as well, but I'm not an expert on bands.