Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 AM

Default Replica IDF M14 sniper project underway

Well, I didn't intend to build an IDF M14 sniper replica in 2019, but I found a decent scope and scope mount for a reasonable fee, so I decided to pick them up. The challenge was an IDF stock, but I was lucky to get one from Canada for a nice price. So, now that I have the stock and other parts, I decided to post some pics for anyone interested.

Project started with a 6x42mm Swarovski/Kahles 'Futonic' scope that was used on the IDF M14 snipers rifles beginning in 1994. This one appears to have been re-furbished/painted, but glass is perfect, so that's nice. Has a BDC elevation turret out to 800 meters for I think M852 ammo. I got it on eBay a few months ago:

The IDF scope mount was subsequently found on this forum. Mine is a little unusual as it has a plain side - it doesn't have the typical markings and a serial # on it.

I have now received my IDF stock, so along with these other requisite parts, I have enough to proceed. Note how wide the IDF slings are in comparison to US web slings. An older model Harris bipod will be used, but is not shown:

Large cheek rest that Israeli Military Industries (IMI) added to the USGI stock for proper cheek weld:

IDF markings on trigger group and op rod (TRW)

This is a budget build and I am not gong to try and hunt down an IDF marked USGI barrel, bolt, or gas cylinder, but I kind-of want an IDF marked flash hider (even if the number doesn’t match the other parts).

The barreled action is a 1996 SAI NM item that I got this spring for a nice price. It came with an SAI medium weight barrel, SAI forged bolt with USGI chrome firing pin, and SAI rear sights, which is just find for this project. I just need one more faux M14 selector switch kit from Hawk; do some light restoration on the stock, and then put it together this summer.

Once built, it should look pretty much like this rifle:

Anyhow, that's my ad-hoc IDF project of 2019.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:13 AM

I too am working on the same project. I need a rear sight, receiver, Harris bipod. sling, op-rod and I'm good to go. I've been doing a lot of reading on these rifles and it seems some parts escaped the electro penciled Aleph so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:36 AM

Okay. I hope you’ll post some pics of your project when it’s completed.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:43 PM

Very nice... I have a mint mount and stock that needs a nimrod scope.... been looking for an affordable one for 4 years.....

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=192113
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Oregon View Post
Source for IDF stock? I have the scope and mt. Thanks, Al
Pm sent.
RVN 67-68
Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM

Finished up my project along the same parallel.
Really enjoy doing things in twos.

RVN 67-68
Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Default IDF (Israeli Defense Force) M14 Sniper rifle transit chest

Good Day,
At the beginning of the year, I pulled out my Israeli Defense Force M14 transit case and faux M21 sniper rifle. I was informed the Hebrew on the case reads:
Box for Sniper Rifle M-14
Catalog Number 2801-0261

The case is functionally reminiscent of the British No4(T) but the lid detaches completely and is covered with fiberglass. The handles appear to have been made from slings of Lee Enfield rifles. The case was designed to store and transport the rifle with the scope and bipod installed (which I'm missing). The lid top is relieved so it does not interfere with the scope. Additionally, there is provision for four M14 magazines in the forward/muzzle end of the case and a cleaning rod (via two steel clips) stored in the lid.
The stock and mount are original Israeli and so marked. The scope is a Kahles Zf69 with the correct reticle.
Regards,
Mike

Old 06-19-2019, 04:36 AM

Pretty cool.
RVN 67-68
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightRN View Post
Good Day,
At the beginning of the year, I pulled out my Israeli Defense Force M14 transit case and faux M21 sniper rifle. I was informed the Hebrew on the case reads:
Box for Sniper Rifle M-14
Catalog Number 2801-0261

The case is functionally reminiscent of the British No4(T) but the lid detaches completely and is covered with fiberglass. The handles appear to have been made from slings of Lee Enfield rifles. The case was designed to store and transport the rifle with the scope and bipod installed (which I'm missing). The lid top is relieved so it does not interfere with the scope. Additionally, there is provision for four M14 magazines in the forward/muzzle end of the case and a cleaning rod (via two steel clips) stored in the lid.
The stock and mount are original Israeli and so marked. The scope is a Kahles Zf69 with the correct reticle.
Regards,
Mike

Link's no workie........