Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Why are M14 trigger housing splines so often damaged?

It seems like just about every used M14 trigger housing I have seen has damaged splines. I'm curious- how does this happen? Anyone know?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Not an expert, but the Dupage M14 parts kit I bought was a HRA kit. My trigger housing appeared to have been peened and I assume to tightened the TH fit into the receiver.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Because GIs didn't care and with sergeants breathing down their necks they hurried.. and what did they care? The armory would replace..

BTW the trigger guard is the main "lockup" to the receiver. The spines (IMHO) are there to locate the trigger group into the receiver.

If you ever went thru basic/boot with an M14 you'll know what I mean about GIs not really caring (as long as the rifle was clean) plus the DIs never pulled the trigger group to inspect. (at least in my experience)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:57 PM

I was the XO of an Armor AIT company during 1970 when we had M14s. The job of the NCOs was to train soldiers on how to use their weapons and survive the rigors of battle. Rifles were considered as tools to be cared for, but not to be babied. The rifle was there to save the life of the soldier. The soldier was not there to preserve the collectabilty of the rifle. Things like the bayonet assault course and the night infiltration course along with 8 weeks of training outdoors and in all kinds of harsh weather tend to turn a new condition rifle into a rack grade condition rifle.
You could get killed in combat if you are more concerned about the rifle than your own survival. Badly damaged rifles can be repaired and rebuilt. Badly damaged soldiers get buried.

Last edited by Normanclature; 03-30-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:28 PM

The spline gets damaged because the trigger group was pulled out by rocking the trigger guard back and forth and/or not reinstalling it evenly with the receiver groove.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
It seems like just about every used M14 trigger housing I have seen has damaged splines. I'm curious- how does this happen? Anyone know?
Good question. Every USGI example, no matter how mint (never got a NIW example) had some such damage. The only used, not damaged ones were Polytech or SA Inc. I have had one USGI example that looked like it was grabbed in a bench vise. If you are familiar with the texture on the face of typical vise jaws, then you know what the damage would look like.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

AUV: Assault Utility Vehicle

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:05 PM

So it sounds like a design flaw? I havenít seen such damage on Garand trigger housings.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:47 PM

In the Marine Corps during the 60s we were taught how to remove and reinstall every part of our M14s and did it hundreds of times. Funny, but I don't ever remember seeing a damaged spline. Perhaps different training than other services. We were taught respect for the rifle that could, and many times did, save our lives.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-06-2019, 03:20 PM

The spline on my Dupage trigger group is 'well used' to be polite but creates no issues at all.

My other Fulton M14 build has a trigger group I purchased from CMP 15 years or more ago and it looks nearly perfect even though the finish is worn.

The rifle with the Dupage TG is in fact a better shooter than the one with the CMP TG and both have the same B/R and a USGI bolt. The Dupage big red stock is probably the difference as it has a snugger fit than the USGI walnut stock on my other Fulton set-up.

Rich
Old 04-07-2019, 08:52 AM

I had a rather "weak" trigger guard on one of mine. (weak meaning hardly any force need to lock/unlock) and replaced it with a new old stock trigger guard from Sherluk, and made all the difference in the world.

Lock up improved as well as a tighter feel to the whole rifle.

I'm still of the opinion that the 'spines" on the trigger group are just there to locate where the trigger group slides into the receiver. The trigger guard (and stock) are the real lockups.