Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiller View Post
Thanx,

The bolt has been replaced with a usgi part so I have a bit more peace of mind this way.
What did the headspace end up at?
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

AUV: Assault Utility Vehicle

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:30 PM

I had one about 25 years ago. It was an inaccurate POS. The fact that the receiver was forged rather than cast didnít make up for the fact that it threw 12 MOA patterns at the range, it just made it a forged POS.

Nothing would fix it so I dumped it and used the money for a handgun that proved to be more accurate than the Polytech.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Nitro Express View Post
I had one about 25 years ago. It was an inaccurate POS. The fact that the receiver was forged rather than cast didnít make up for the fact that it threw 12 MOA patterns at the range, it just made it a forged POS.

Nothing would fix it so I dumped it and used the money for a handgun that proved to be more accurate than the Polytech.
Really,
The facts of the poly and norcs that have been around certainly don't agree at all with your experience. Most of the many I have handled were 2moa or better out of the box and much more accurate with a little coaxing.
I would suspect that your problem was more related to either the user or junk ammo than the rifle, if in fact your story has not been slightly enhanced.
RVN 67-68
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What did the headspace end up at?

Headspace is 1.633
Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiller View Post
Headspace is 1.633
Excellent.
RVN 67-68
Old 05-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Really,
The facts of the poly and norcs that have been around certainly don't agree at all with your experience. Most of the many I have handled were 2moa or better out of the box and much more accurate with a little coaxing.
I would suspect that your problem was more related to either the user or junk ammo than the rifle, if in fact your story has not been slightly enhanced.
Well since you never examined my rifle, ammo or met me personally, Iíll take that for what its worth.

My experience applies only to my rifle. It was a dog.

Iím perfectly willing to accept that some people have examples that display fine accuracy and without the need to call the owners liars or speculate on their ammo selection , marksmanship skills or ability to use a ruler without any factual knowledge.

If youíve got one that shoots well, good for you. If you are thinking about buying, my advice is to test fire it before you commit.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Nitro Express View Post
Well since you never examined my rifle, ammo or met me personally, Iíll take that for what its worth.

My experience applies only to my rifle. It was a dog.

Iím perfectly willing to accept that some people have examples that display fine accuracy and without the need to call the owners liars or speculate on their ammo selection , marksmanship skills or ability to use a ruler without any factual knowledge.

If youíve got one that shoots well, good for you. If you are thinking about buying, my advice is to test fire it before you commit.

Sure, can't speak for your experience but had to chime in with the facts, as I have seen them. The Chinese rifles were quite popular for a time along with their 1911s. Had folks on my range with dozens of them over the years and never heard any complaints until the rumor mill got started up about 2008 by folks with commercial interests about soft bolts which did occur on occasion.
Receivers are still sought after for builds as they are top notch forged and very close to USGI spec. Barrels were always comparable to USGI chrome lined and presented similar accuracy.
RVN 67-68
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsdown View Post
I have a Polytech I paid $375. for and a standard SA M-1A that I bought new for $1275. I won't say that the M-14 will outshoot the M-1A, but there isn't two bits difference in the groups they shoot!!! If I could find another one I'd sell the SA and buy it and lots of ammo. As for Aussie ammo I regularly shoot 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 M, it's really good stuff.

What's the aussie ammo you use. Is it the aussie outback ammo I see sold?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave269 View Post
They are great rifles. The only thing is you should change the bolt to a USGI bolt. They have soft bolts. I am not repeating internet BS. It's a well documented fact. Congrats on owning a great rifle.
I just inherited one of these polytech M14s. Where does one find a usgi bolt?? Iíve looked around online and could not find any. Just wanted to possible purchase one if I needed it in the future.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924mike View Post
I just inherited one of these polytech M14s. Where does one find a usgi bolt?? Iíve looked around online and could not find any. Just wanted to possible purchase one if I needed it in the future.
Try the m14 wts section here on the cmp forum. Thereís one for sale every now and then.

Hiller........