Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 05:46 AM

Default Need Some Schooling on M1As

I acquired 2 M1As recently but know little about them, always have been a Garand guy. One is a 59,XXX and the other is a 26XXX
I have heard the term "Golden years" were some of a better quality during certain times? Both are glass bedded and have NM sites and have gi parts
Bill
Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 AM

Sounds like you have a couple of good ones.
the Golden Years mean different things to different folks but if your's are bedded they are Golden. I would assume that the barrels are not GI if they are set up of accuracy.
RVN 67-68
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 AM

a reference to the "Golden Era"
https://m14forum.com/m14/195917-golden-era.html
What color is the bedding (grey or reddish brown Bisonite) - Glen Nelson was one of the noted armorers from that time period until he passed in 2003-'04.
https://m14forum.com/m14/452250-82-nm-sa-m1a.html
post #2 & #10 talk about the bedding materials...

Last edited by AzMedic; 05-22-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:34 PM

I don't believe there were ever "golden years" when it comes to the M1A. Early M1A rifles had lots and sometimes all GI parts, but often had issues with things like poor heat treating in the receivers. At times there were shortages of proper GI and commercial parts. That is why it's not uncommon to find rear sights from WWII Garands (lock bar sights). The introduction of commercial cast parts came fairly early even back into the late 70's. Springfield sold off their inventory of GI chrome lined barrels because they wouldn't head space on their receivers and switched to commercial barrels. About twenty years ago or so they offered a "collectors model" which had all GI parts except the receiver. Most of the parts came from M14's imported from Israel. These were nice rifles, but standard models. Some Super Match rifles made during this period used these parts as well. Over all, the M1A is a reasonably good rifle. Few actually have any issues with them, but there have always been a few issues related to their Chinese made parts and inconsistent quality control. Note that SAI stopped selling stripped receivers years ago due to the problems inexperienced home builders were having assembling them. That is not an uncommon problem. Some other makers have done the same thing with their receivers. Of course, with 400,000 guns made, their are always going to be a few problems. Back when they were the only game in town a lot of very excellent rifles were custom built on M1A receivers.

Last edited by Ted Brown; 05-24-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsm1 View Post
I acquired 2 M1As recently but know little about them, always have been a Garand guy. One is a 59,XXX and the other is a 26XXX
I have heard the term "Golden years" were some of a better quality during certain times? Both are glass bedded and have NM sites and have gi parts
Bill
Bill, the reference too the golden years has different meanings to the M1A crowd. But many M1a nutz pretty much agree it falls into two ranges, #1. any M1A receiver that's 7.62mm marked, up too about 63000 ser number. #2. up too near ser number 120,000 because these rifles have a higher percentage of USGI parts.

SAI has used on and off again repo/replica parts on a as needed basis, from the start of production.