Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Default North Store 01-09

Made a visit this morning. They still have .30 cal LC Carbine ammo. Not much to say about the M1's. Most were the type with new wood. Didn't notice any Kimbers. As always, Bob and Jim were most helpful (as are the gals at check-out). Even if I don't buy much, the trip is always worth the drive.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Anything good in the FG's? or BR's?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
Anything good in the FG's? or BR's?
I stopped in around lunchtime to look at the Navy Mod 1 barrelled receivers. There was a very good selection - probably thirty or so. Most were in good condition, and I didn't find any that gauged over a "2" at the muzzle.

I wound up bringing home an AMF with excellent finish that gauged at "1", and a second that might have been a Match rifle. The second one had a polished barrel bottom, a series of grooves for the lower band, and some remnants of betting epoxy on the barrel.

I didn't look closely at the Field Grades, but their several of them had nice wood. There were only about 20 or so of them in the racks. The other racks had the usual M1D and M1C Garands and the new CMP built rifles.

I asked Bob and Frank if they thought the paucity of Service Grades was a result of the armorers preparing the IHCs for sale, but they said they had no idea.

I went looking for the Navy BRs and found what I was after, so I left happy, as usual.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM

I was there this morning. No regular service grades. Only Service Grade Specials or Specials. No Kimbers, all gone last week. Lots of people buying ammo - carbine, .308.

I got there around 9:20am. First looked at the .308 Special Garands. They are essentially built like the .30-06 Specials but with a .308 barrel. They had one 5.3m and one 4.2m rifle and the rest were mainly WWII receivers. I ended up getting the one with the 4.2m receiver. I also looked at the SA and HRA Service Grade Specials. One of the SA SG Specials had a serial number within 7 of a SA SG that I have at home so I decided to take that one home also. People have bought most of the .30-06 Specials and there are only a few left in the store. However, there were about 40-50 SA SG Specials and about 25 HRA SG Specials in the store. In my opinion, these are the rifles to buy, especially since Orest said they were almost out of them. You might not ever see them again.

They had some M1D and M1C rifles. I looked at the M1D rifles but nothing I wanted to buy since the ones with good barrels had black parked receivers. They had some Winchester FGs. Some SA and HRA FGs - nothing special there. They had about 60-70 Navy 7.62 BRs. I looked at all of them. I was thinking about buying one that had a Winchester receiver but the throat erosion was really bad and the bore was dark. They also had a HRA Navy BR in the 4.7m serial number range and a H&R rebuild mark on the barrel, and I almost took that one home. But I decided I did not want to build a rifle so I decide to go with a .308 Special (the one with the 4.2m receiver).

I also looked at the .30-06 BRs and they had about 30 in the racks. I found one 1.9m BR with almost no pitting, nice heel stamp, and a tight NOS barrel but put it back - last slot on the right if you want it.

They had 4 NM type 2 rifles in the racks for $2500. Nice rifles - all NM parts - sights, op rods, barrels. They were 5.3m serial numbers if I remember right.

The M1A kits are gone. All claimed by mail order.

They still had carbine ammo. You can get them in the crates - 2 cans per crate. Or just one can by itself. There are empty carbines crates outside that you can pick up and take home.

The .308 Atomic ammo was selling. $175 per 200 in a little plastic can.

No carbine mags. They still have 10 inch Garand bayonets and the used M5 bayonets.

Despite the lack of SG Garands and small number of FG Garands, there still were people there buying ammo and Garands. Let me say again, if you want a SA SG Special or a HRA SG Special, now it is time to buy.

I did not look at the drill Garands but they had some on the back wall. They had some .22 barrels or stripped BRs. I did not look at them. I did not ask about .30-06 ammo. Sounded like they had some 9mm ammo but did not ask about it. No Remington .22 ammo - be sold out a while ago. Did not ask about .223 ammo but I assume that is all gone also.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 AM

Abeal, Radonist, 30 cal ..You guys rock. Saved me a lot of time...Is anyone surprised the counter guys are MUM on the IHC'S ? .30 cal..where you at in MI?

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 01-10-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Counter guys are mum because they do not know or are under strict orders.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM

The Navy BRs are interesting. Most look well worn on the outside and not sure how they would clean up. The muzzle measurement may not be a good indicator of its throat erosion. Someone went through the rack of BRs in the past and marked the throat erosion on the side of the receiver in white marker. T1 is good, T8 is bad. In many cases they have similar muzzle wear. Some BRs have rust but most do not. I was going to buy a couple but I figured I would get a better shooter from a .308 Special. I guess I am not interested in the history of the Navy BRs.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post
Counter guys are mum because they do not know or are under strict orders.
It would get a tad frustrating answering the same questions day in-day out..Is CMP getting Carbines ever again? How about 1903's? They keep pretty good humor...

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post
The Navy BRs are interesting. Most look well worn on the outside and not sure how they would clean up. The muzzle measurement may not be a good indicator of its throat erosion. Someone went through the rack of BRs in the past and marked the throat erosion on the side of the receiver in white marker. T1 is good, T8 is bad.
I had forgotten about the throat markings until you just mentioned it - fortunately, it looks like I chose well (or well enough).

Since we all like pics and there isn't musch to show from the North Store right now, I snapped a few of the two Navy BRs I bought yesterday.

The first is 3399870. I chose this one because of the mostly matching finish, the WWII serial number, low MW (right at 1), and the cool markings on the barrel. The pictures show some surface rust, but I believe it was from another BR stacked with it, because it all wiped right off.

I got lucky, because even though I forgot about the TE markings, this one turned out to have a low one:

More pics in the reply.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Here's the second barrelled receiver, 1646363. I like that serial number! This one looked as though it might have been a Match rifle, and the other factors that I used to judge it were all positive, so I brought it home.

The barrel is polished on the bottom:

and the area where the ferrule fits is knurled:

Barrel markings:

Throat erosion on this one is marked as "4+", a little on the high side, but I can live with that.

A nice pair, I think. I'm looking forward to building them up.