Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 11:54 PM

Default CMP newbie questions

First of all, thank you to all who post the wealth of information on this forum. I've learned a ton, now have all of the purchase criteria in hand and will be embarking on the long awaited magical trip to the South store, this weekend. To say I'm excited is an extreme understatement.

I would qualify myself as more of a shooter than serious collector. I had envisioned looking more for a Garand with low wear and in great shape, than being particular about manufacturer, year, etc. My assumption has been I'll look for the best condition Service grade on the rack without too much concern for the details that serious collectors look for. That being said, I am interested in why some Garand types are more desirable.

From the fantastic store reports, the categories of interest seem to be:
Manufacturer (Winchester, International Harvester, Springfield Armory)
CMP wood vs. USGI
WWII era configurations
Springfield Armory 6 million series

I assume scarcity plays a large part, but is there anything else from the above list that makes any one more desirable? Thank you for any input and information. Looking forward to the trip this Saturday. I'll be the obvious new guy looking for the right Garand to adopt.

Thanks!
Will
Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 AM

I am far from an expert but here are a few I've noticed. 4.2-4.3 SA, win 13s if you ever see one, certain rebuilds like LEAD, if you find a WRA stock that's a great value ( really any WRA parts are valuable it seems). If you are learning about the mechanics of the gun like I am and can't do it yourself, have someone check the op rod spring and gas cylinder timing as that can affect accuracy and a bad spring can cause lots of problems. Also, a CMP stock may need to be trimmed ( my term probably not the right term) so you don't wear on the wrong spots. I would get as many correct parts on your rifle as possible, all else being equal this will raise the value of the rifle. Of course, especially for a shooter, low TE and MW affect value and shooting. A service grade will be good for both. There are many others on here that have helped me with my knowledge. Rest assured that no matter what, you're probably getting a great deal just getting it from the CMP and hand selecting you are really getting a better chance at what you want. Please post some pictures of what you get

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage22410 View Post
I would qualify myself as more of a shooter than serious collector. I had envisioned looking more for a Garand with low wear and in great shape, than being particular about manufacturer, year, etc. My assumption has been I'll look for the best condition Service grade on the rack without too much concern for the details that serious collectors look for. That being said, I am interested in why some Garand types are more desirable.
This should be your priority on your upcoming visit!! Everything else is secondary. Collectibility of Garand rifles is a study unto itself. There are many books written on the subject and probably not something you’re going to learn in a few days. Additionally, money plays a factor. As you add collectibility to condition, the cost goes up! If they have IHC or Winchester service grades, they will be more costly and possibly in worse condition than a SA service grade. You also don’t know what will be in the store on any given day. I’m sure some of the regulars and store staff will be available to help you but keeping your requirements simple will help. Good luck!!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Contact PH68 ("Tom") in the next couple of days, he lives in Anniston and visits the store daily at opening to gather info for that day's opening store report. Arrange to meet him at opening (8AM CST), he will assist you in finding the best rifle for you.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM

I sincerely appreciate the responses to my post. I agree that the best policy on my first visit is to focus on finding a rifle that catches my eye. Then look at any of the other desired features as a bonus. Mostly excited for the experience of the visit with learning and hopefully talking rifles with a few other patrons.

Now to come clean... here's what got me started after a Garand:
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 PM

According to recent reports CMP has been putting out some CMP specials. If you're solely interested in a shooter it would be hard to beat a special but then again there are so many variables you just never know for sure how accurate a rifle will be until you actually shoot it. There's also been a few SG WRA rifles out. Typically a SG should have better barrel numbers than a FG does but that's no guarantee it will be a better shooter. For a combination of collectability and potentially being a decent shooter it would be hard to top a WRA SG rifle.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:41 AM

I will echo Ronwall's suggestion that for a shooter you should look at getting a CMP special. They are completely rebuilt rifles with new barrels. If you are going to go that route, I would suggest you mail order it and save the 10% tax at the south store. Second option would be to purchase a Springfield/HRA service grade. If it was me, I would still mail order and put a little sticky asking for "best barrel measurement available, please". (I hate paying the tax.) Very good chance you will end up with a new CMP stock. Not as classic as a GI stock, but they have tighter lockup, thus more accurate.

A collector has completely different wants. WWII manufacture is more popular than post war, but unless close to correct, value isn't much different since most were manufacture during the war. Correct or collector grade is obviously more valuable than the average mixmaster rifle. Then you get into scarcity and collector interest. IHC made the fewest, but there are more people interested in Winchester. HRA made the second fewest, Springfield made the most. You have subsets within the manufactures. There are five types of IHC receivers. The most common is the postage stamp. The others have a higher premium. IHC use to be pretty scarce, since so many went overseas to out allies. With the recent Turkish returns a lot are popping up. Of the Winchesters, the absolute most popular are the Win-13 (the drawing number on the receiver is ends in 13.) They are the last WRA's made, are of a duplicate serial number range with Springfield, and feature a lot of late war design features that are not on the rest of the WRA rifles. The quickest way to spot a Win-13 is by the serial number. Any 1.6 million serial number WRA M1 will have the Win-13 drawing number. The CMP generally does not segragate the Win-13, thus no premium added by them. The most valuable and hard to find are the very early models. Gas Traps and 7th round modified rifles. Again condition is everything. In most cases condition and degree of correctness effects the value more than manufacture.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-garand-rifle/

Last edited by krdomingue; 05-09-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM

VERY nice succint post. Excellent job in explaining in a nutshell.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:40 AM

Thanks again for all of the great responses and info. I'm incredibly excited for my first visit to the South store. Could someone confirm if you can choose and pay for your rifle in the store, but have them ship to save the 10% tax? Also, is 30-06 ammo fairly available and a fair deal there?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 AM

If you buy at the store, you will pay the tax.

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll