Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Question about "I'll take it" rules

I see a lot of for sale postings where the next reply is "PM Sent". I'm confused why people do this. Are we supposed to interpret "PM Sent" as "I'll take it" or is it to be ignored until the first "I'll take it"?

"PM Sent" seems rather useless when you consider that the receiver is going to get a popup as soon as he logs on that he's received a new PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
I see a lot of for sale postings where the next reply is "PM Sent". I'm confused why people do this. Are we supposed to interpret "PM Sent" as "I'll take it" or is it to be ignored until the first "I'll take it"?

"PM Sent" seems rather useless when you consider that the receiver is going to get a popup as soon as he logs on that he's received a new PM.
Some sellers do not post their rules, and get into cat fights with two buyers.

The forum does not have any rules about PMs or first post gets it.

I get no problems in my sales with: First "I'll take it" rules in the thread, then PM me with payment option and address.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 PM

And then there is the “Ill take it pending PM”. How is that interpreted?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder1 View Post
And then there is the “Ill take it pending PM”. How is that interpreted?
I think that is conditional and a clean I'll take it wins.

The PM might be an offer, or for pictures, etc.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:

I believe in most cases this kind of PM is sent to answer a question about the item for sale. In some cases I've not received a "popup" notification but saw that I had a PM in the upper right hand corner where it says Private Message.
Unless noted in the posting that the first "I'll take it" posted on the thread gets it, a PM between a seller and a buyer could also serve to confirm an offer to purchase. Some buyers it seems don't want to post that they will take it on the thread and do it behind the scene with a PM.
It's seems it comes down to the seller on how they want to handle transactions here, since there are no "real" rules.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM

On the luger forum we have about a 2 page (my gawd) WTS rules - because since 2003 there have been squabbles -

BUT, many folks don't want the 'world' to know they are buying something, so they ONLY PM or email a reply - others will be a pain in the butt about every nuance, scratch, bore marking, and shade of park or bluing and ask for additional pictures from weird angles (you know, to prove I have it and i am not ripping them off (fine for armslist)

My take on it - PM sent - (its information they want) //// I'll take it - providing PMs met (Its information they want) ///// I'll take it (doesn't always mean they'll take it)

I always figure an I'll take it trumps all. Although some folks try to use it as a place-holder until they get those pictures. That is not often, but usually I just tell them, no problem, if someone comes along with a solid I'll take it, its theirs.

Every situation is different, to include each seller and each buyer....
Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:

There aren't any forum rules that I know of but my practice has always been that the first buyer to give me an UNCONDITIONAL "I'll Take it" is the person that gets the item.

PMs usually are asking questions or trying to strike a bargain on the price of the item.

My way of thinking is that if someone comes along with the unconditional "I'll take" it vs "I want it but with certain conditions or for a lesser price" the item goes to the UNCONDITIONAL buyer.

Not everyone agrees with this but it's the fairest way I see and avoids most conflict.

That's the way I've done it in the past and will continue to do in the future.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:29 PM

And some buyers just send a PM to offer to buy. Guess they don't want anyone to know they are buying.

Then another buyer says I'll take it in the thread, thus the cat fight when the first I'll take it in the thread does not get it.

Sellers need to post their rules in the ad. Then no problems.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR63 View Post
PMs usually are asking questions or trying to strike a bargain on the price of the item.

My way of thinking is that if someone comes along with the unconditional "I'll take" it vs "I want it but with certain conditions or for a lesser price" the item goes to the UNCONDITIONAL buyer.
^This precisely.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
After reading all the responses in this thread, I think it would help to perhaps qualify a response of "I'll take it" with "This is an unconditional I'll take it and I assume all "PM Sent" responses above were information requests only".