Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2020, 11:07 PM

Default Bayonet Lug Install?

Hey carbiners!

How hard is it to install a Type 3 Bayonet lug barrel band on a carbine?

Iíve read you just drive out a pin on the front sight to remove it and slide on the lug and secure the screw and replace the sights and pin?

Is it really that easy, or is there wood fitting involved? Any tips or tricks? Thanks!

-Panzer
Old 09-15-2020, 11:19 PM

It's straight forward to replace. Sometimes the front sight pin comes out hard, use a good punch. The front sight is typically a tight fit, it can be driven off with a hardwood block but a front sight puller works best. Grease up the barrel but even given that it can be scratched taking the sight off/on. You will need to remove the sight key as well. The sight key is soft metal and most likely the pin won't fit as tight the second time around. I usually apply some loctite 620 retaining compound on the pin before driving it in place.
No wood fitting should be required.
A very tight type 3 band can also scratch the barrel, you can grease it up to prevent that.

Last edited by GotSnlB28; 09-15-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:53 AM

Before you mess with it, shoot it and see how it does. You may be happy with it and start saving pennies to buy one with a bayonet lug.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
Before you mess with it, shoot it and see how it does. You may be happy with it and start saving pennies to buy one with a bayonet lug.
Thanks!

I keep hearing everyone go on and on that the bayonet lug increases accuracy. My rifle will have a Type 2 (thicc) barrel band.

I guess Iíll just see? Itís going to be a Fulton with a Criterion barrel on. I just donít know at this point?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerschwein View Post
Thanks!

I keep hearing everyone go on and on that the bayonet lug increases accuracy. My rifle will have a Type 2 (thicc) barrel band.

I guess Iíll just see? Itís going to be a Fulton with a Criterion barrel on. I just donít know at this point?
I've got a bayonet lug and front sight removal tool collecting dust. PM me if you have any need/interest in buying them.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
I've got a bayonet lug and front sight removal tool collecting dust. PM me if you have any need/interest in buying them.
Thanks! I greatly appreciate that but my rifle is still being made by Fulton Armory. Iím going to ring them tomorrow and request a bayonet lug instead of the Type II band.

So... Iíll be needing a bayonet!

I see the Italian M4 bayonets are around for less than $100 with scabbard. Are they serviceable?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:27 PM

It's just me, but I prefer the Type 1 or 2 bands to the Type 3. The earlier ones look more authentic with a cleaner front end to me. I know the Type 3 was an improvement, but carbines weren't designed to be MOA tack drivers. For dead-on accuracy, I reach for something other than one of my carbines.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:34 PM

I get what you're saying but I abide by the saying "only accurate rifles are interesting" and all reports show the Type III bayonet band increases accuracy.

And, with today's civil unrest, someone mentioned a bayonet on the end of a rifle might not be such a bad thing to have about...
Old 09-17-2020, 02:47 PM

From a faded memory: I once saw a comparison of accuracy for the three bands.
It was something like this, in general.
A type 1 band gave a three inch group
A type 2 band gave a two inch group
A type 3 band gave a one and a half group.
There was improvement going from a type 1 band to a type 2 band, And only a little more from a 2 to a type 3.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
From a faded memory: I once saw a comparison of accuracy for the three bands.
It was something like this, in general.
A type 1 band gave a three inch group
A type 2 band gave a two inch group
A type 3 band gave a one and a half group.
There was improvement going from a type 1 band to a type 2 band, And only a little more from a 2 to a type 3.
Is that all?

I will be using the rifle for plinking cans and steel targets in the desert mostly, and will never be competing with it. Also, if it proves reliable for defense, I will use it as my camp and desert gun.

Maybe, then, it wouldnít matter so? I certainly enjoy the look without, and is more correct for WW2 (though I know some were used very late).

And using a bayonet for any kind of social work is probably mostly unrealistic perhaps.

Thoughts?