X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuddyBGood
    • Jan 2011

Talladega Marksmanship Park

Sirs,how about a section on forums devoted to the Talladega Marksmanship Park?
    Example:directions and map,procedures to use,upcoming matches and events.
    Chat room for discussion of facility,about range conditions,light and wind,equipement.
    contacts for instruction,registration.
    Just a one stop shopping for all things relating to the Park.
  • canes7
    • Oct 2009

Great Idea.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dan W.
    CMP GSM Master Instructor
    CMP HP Master
    DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics

Comment

• GuapoPogi
      • Apr 2014

I'm sure this thread is in the wrong place (It probably should be in the feedback forum) but I agree with the OP. I have been talking to my wife about taking a road trip to Talladega to spend a day at the range but the CMP site does not really give a lot of information. A few things I'd like to know are

1.) Is there a store on site for supplies (ammo, cleaning gear, glasses...)?
      2.) If I want to use the 600 meter range for our AR's, Garand and Arisaka then the 100 meter range for our carbines and .22's and the pistol range for our pistols (I'm not driving 12 hours to shoot 1 rifle) do we need to pay for them separately or is there an all day all range pass?
      3.) Are the prices per person or per lane?
      4.) From the map it looks like the parking is far from the shooting lines what provisions are there for disabled shooters or shooters with more firearms/equipment than can be carried in 1 trip between the car and the shooting line?

I'm sure I will have more questions as we plan our trip but those are just the questions off the top of my head.

GuapoPogi
      Last edited by GuapoPogi; 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
      Masquerading as a man with a reason
      My charade is the event of the season
      And if I claim to be a wise man
      It surely means that I don't know

Comment

• Roadkingtrax
        • Oct 2009

Call them?

Comment

• GuapoPogi
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
          Call them?
          Yes I know but when my wife and I are talking about this at 10:00PM and the range is closed, we could easily check the website except the website says little to nothing. I'm not asking members here to answer those questions nor am I even asking the CMP to answer them here in this thread so much as I am commenting that these are questions that should be answered on the CMP web site. My wife and I are thinking of a spring road trip so we have several months to come up with more questions that we will need to ask but how many phone calls from someone like me would it take to make it worth while to have the information available online at our finger tips. I would think they would want the employees at the range to be able to focus on other things and not be tied up on the phone with these type of questions.

GuapoPogi

Comment

• BuddyBGood
            • Jan 2011

I wasn't sure where to post this thread.
            Site announcements,Webmaster,or Ask CMP.
            Thanks Canes 7.
            I just thought it may help all with questions or input on its workings.
            This facility is fantastic.

Comment

• jimd80
              • Dec 2014

Excellent idea to get a forum spot set up. I was there today and had a great time. Shot the AR, Garand, pistol and shotgun. Staff was very helpful and almost nobody there in the afternoon. Was looking for a spot to say how great it was.

Comment

• RVN 69-70
                • Oct 2009

Info

Originally posted by GuapoPogi View Post
                I'm sure this thread is in the wrong place (It probably should be in the feedback forum) but I agree with the OP. I have been talking to my wife about taking a road trip to Talladega to spend a day at the range but the CMP site does not really give a lot of information. A few things I'd like to know are

Not sure

2.) If I want to use the 600 meter range for our AR's, Garand and Arisaka then the 100 meter range for our carbines and .22's and the pistol range for our pistols (I'm not driving 12 hours to shoot 1 rifle) do we need to pay for them separately or is there an all day all range pass?

There IS an all day pass.....PER PERSON

Per person

4.) From the map it looks like the parking is far from the shooting lines what provisions are there for disabled shooters or shooters with more firearms/equipment than can be carried in 1 trip between the car and the shooting line?

Golf cart

I'm sure I will have more questions as we plan our trip but those are just the questions off the top of my head.

GuapoPogi
                These 'answers' are from what I read (and hopefully remember right, from previously posted threads/announcements etc. Hope they help
                SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
                8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang

Comment

• jimd80
                  • Dec 2014

There is parking everywhere except you need a cart for sporting clays. Those wide spots in the road on the map are parking. I parked right in front of the 100 yard, pistol, and trap/5 stand areas.

Comment

• Kilo-Sierra
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by GuapoPogi View Post

GuapoPogi
                    Maybe i can help.

1) Yes, Creedmoor Sports has a ProShop inside the clubhouse. They have a pretty good selection of goodies. If they don't have it there, they will carry it to the ProShop from the main store for you. They do that everyday. I have asked them to do it several times. Works great. Call aheqad and make sure they have it. Do it a couple of days before you go so they have time to get it over there.

2) You can pay for the High Power range (the big range). Once you pay for that , you can go to the other ranges down the hill for no additional cost. BUT....if you pay for a lesser costing range you can NOT go up the hill. EX. you can't pay for a pistol bay and then go UP to the rifle ranges.

3) You pay for 1 shooter on one lane. It's never crowded so your shootin' bud just gets the lane next to you. If you pay, you get your own lane.

4) They are VERY accommodating getting your gear to the firing line even if you aren't disabled. You pay, borrow a golf cart, load your gear on it and drive right up to your firing point and unload. Take the golf cart back and then walk through the clubhouse back to your firing point. When you're done shooting just reverse the order. There is no charge for the golf cart and it makes life WAY easier.

HTH...if you have other questions give me a shout. You will have a GREAT time!

Keith Schachle
                    I can shoot a one hole/one shot group at any distance....."If I do my part"
                    Keith Schachle
                    Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
                    Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
                    NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
                    NRA Midrange - High Master
                    CMP XTC Service Rifle - High Master
                    CMP Master Instructor
                    Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Comment

• GhostInTheMachine
                      Forum Webmaster
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by BuddyBGood View Post
                      Sirs,how about a section on forums devoted to the Talladega Marksmanship Park?
                      Example:directions and map,procedures to use,upcoming matches and events.
                      Chat room for discussion of facility,about range conditions,light and wind,equipement.
                      contacts for instruction,registration.
                      Just a one stop shopping for all things relating to the Park.
                      Great idea.
                      http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Comment

• sigman2
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
                        Maybe i can help.

1) Yes, Creedmoor Sports has a ProShop inside the clubhouse. They have a pretty good selection of goodies. If they don't have it there, they will carry it to the ProShop from the main store for you. They do that everyday. I have asked them to do it several times. Works great. Call aheqad and make sure they have it. Do it a couple of days before you go so they have time to get it over there.

2) You can pay for the High Power range (the big range). Once you pay for that , you can go to the other ranges down the hill for no additional cost. BUT....if you pay for a lesser costing range you can NOT go up the hill. EX. you can't pay for a pistol bay and then go UP to the rifle ranges.

3) You pay for 1 shooter on one lane. It's never crowded so your shootin' bud just gets the lane next to you. If you pay, you get your own lane.

4) They are VERY accommodating getting your gear to the firing line even if you aren't disabled. You pay, borrow a golf cart, load your gear on it and drive right up to your firing point and unload. Take the golf cart back and then walk through the clubhouse back to your firing point. When you're done shooting just reverse the order. There is no charge for the golf cart and it makes life WAY easier.

HTH...if you have other questions give me a shout. You will have a GREAT time!

Keith Schachle
                        This a great to hear. I'm disabled and was wondering what accommodations are available. I need to be able to park directly in front of the shooting lane if at all possible.

I ran into a problem when using a range in Louisiana with my son. It was very easy to drive and unload at the shooting point but the range officer wouldn't allow it. We had to park in the main parking area and carry all our gear about 200 yards to the firing point. Her I was, disabled and using a wheel chair. How was I going to carry all my gear while in a wheel chair. When I confronted the range officer explaining the Americans with Disabilities Act he said the had never heard of it. I then asked if we could at least drive to the shooting point, unload, then park he said, "No, it's not our problem." My son had to load me up with gear, push me to the firing point, then make a couple more trips ferrying gear.

When I returned home I fired off a series of e-mails to the LA Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries who oversees the range with copies to several politicians. In the reply I received there was a statement that "They were catering to the majority and couldn't be concerned with the few who didn't fit in." They said they would look into getting some wheel barrows, wagons or perhaps a golf cart. I have never been back to that range.

It would be great to have a forum dedicated to the range. We also could use a FAQ and detailed list of the facilities and all accommodations for elderly and disabled. The more info, the better.
                        CMP Customer # 131290
                        NRA Patron Member
                        Garand Collectors Association
                        Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
                        http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Comment

• jimd80
                          • Dec 2014

I saw a person shooting from a wheelchair at the 100 yard range. Parking is maybe ten yards from the range.

Comment

• GuapoPogi
                            • Apr 2014

Thank-you to those who answered my questions. I really was not expecting answers, I was really trying to show that there is a lack of information on the CMP web site and that there is a need for the forum that the original poster was suggesting.

GuapoPogi

Comment

• Kilo-Sierra
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sigman2 View Post
                              This a great to hear. I'm disabled and was wondering what accommodations are available. I need to be able to park directly in front of the shooting lane if at all possible.

I ran into a problem when using a range in Louisiana with my son. It was very easy to drive and unload at the shooting point but the range officer wouldn't allow it. We had to park in the main parking area and carry all our gear about 200 yards to the firing point. Her I was, disabled and using a wheel chair. How was I going to carry all my gear while in a wheel chair. When I confronted the range officer explaining the Americans with Disabilities Act he said the had never heard of it. I then asked if we could at least drive to the shooting point, unload, then park he said, "No, it's not our problem." My son had to load me up with gear, push me to the firing point, then make a couple more trips ferrying gear.

When I returned home I fired off a series of e-mails to the LA Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries who oversees the range with copies to several politicians. In the reply I received there was a statement that "They were catering to the majority and couldn't be concerned with the few who didn't fit in." They said they would look into getting some wheel barrows, wagons or perhaps a golf cart. I have never been back to that range.

It would be great to have a forum dedicated to the range. We also could use a FAQ and detailed list of the facilities and all accommodations for elderly and disabled. The more info, the better.
                              I think your treatment down there was disgusting. Can guarantee the CMP folks and any NORMAL person will treat you much better at Talladega. They also have bathrooms and water fountains on each end of the firing line on the HP range. Hope you get a chance to enjoy the range soon!

Keith Schachle
                              I can shoot a one hole/one shot group at any distance....."If I do my part"
                              Keith Schachle
                              Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
                              Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
                              NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
                              NRA Midrange - High Master
                              CMP XTC Service Rifle - High Master
                              CMP Master Instructor
                              Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Comment

Working...
                              X