Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Thanks Marty for the excellent advice !
Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=X Hunter;1711756]Wear a shooting hat, coat, and glove. The coat is completely buckled up. If the left sleeve has a zipper in the crotch of the elbow, the zipper should be undone to prevent pulse. The hat should have side blinders to shade out sun glare and distractions of neighboring shooters. Shooting glove on the support hand to help reduce pulse. AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER INFO HE WROTE...

WOW.....That is some GREAT info right there! Read and Heed all this and you will get to your goal quicker.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Thanks Marty for the excellent advice !
no problem. lots of good advice here.

one thing you will notice, Carl, Ken, Dick and Brandon all do it a little different but all do it well. for a small example, I know Dick likes ball and dummy drills, Carl doesn't. I don't say either one is right or wrong because it works for them. as you progress, you will start to find things that work for you personally.

take mental management for example. some shooters more or less talk their selves through the shot with what is called a "script". they will say in their head "buttstock here" or "support hand here" then say something like "squeeze" when they break the shot. when I shoot, i'm just wondering what's for lunch. my dyslexia would confuse me all have so I don't even bother.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydabney View Post
no problem. lots of good advice here.

one thing you will notice, Carl, Ken, Dick and Brandon all do it a little different but all do it well. for a small example, I know Dick likes ball and dummy drills, Carl doesn't. I don't say either one is right or wrong because it works for them. as you progress, you will start to find things that work for you personally.

take mental management for example. some shooters more or less talk their selves through the shot with what is called a "script". they will say in their head "buttstock here" or "support hand here" then say something like "squeeze" when they break the shot. when I shoot, i'm just wondering what's for lunch. my dyslexia would confuse me all have so I don't even bother.
I think I have a decent fundamental prep routine. I shoulder the rifle , close my eyes aim, open my eyes and pivot my back foot as necessary for NPA. I then aim slightly above the bull and as my muzzle drops I try to accurately time and break the shot. Seems to work good for me. Problem is where i'm so new, I don't have experience with a stiff cross wind pushing my windage. So like many commented it will simply be practice and experience. I don't think "timing" my shot between gusts will work as I don't want to be rushing a shot to shoot inside a random wind lull, but I will still try it just for more experience.

Last edited by Road_Clam; 04-27-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:19 AM

I built a dedicated 22 upper with a DCM float tube and added the lead like we do with our service rifles. It has a 20-inch gov profile barrel as CMMG doesn’t make a heavier profile (I lobbied them to do a run for years).

The advantage is I can shoot 500rds a day and not to broke. I need to weigh it on a proper scale but it is close to the weight of my full RRA Service Match Rifle upper.

I have also practiced off hand with my Appleseed Liberty Training Rifle, a 10-22 with Tech sights but while the sight picture is about the same the feel and weight of the AR Service Rifle made me just build the dedicated 22 upper.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 AM

For .22 practice, shoot the A-36 or NRA-50 at 50ft. White is a miss. Going from the middle to right and left columns will punish an uncentered NPA.

Regarding NPA, I have a little bit of horizontal tension from bringing the left elbow towards my belly button and letting friction hold it. Otherwise, I pull straight into the right shoulder. I consider NPA set when my average wobble area is equidistant from center.

I was raised in the wind, but spoiled lately until the OKC Games. I was getting pushed right and down during gusts, and pulling left and up when it would let up. Getting "aggressive" felt good, like the old days as a junior. Dunno if there's any visual help here: http://https://youtu.be/eCPvjIemCgg

Bullseye Pistol shall teach good trigger control with a firm grip.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Like was quoted from Whiting and Bernosky, shoot STANDING... not offhand. Offhand went away long before I started in 1981.

[email protected]
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisxllx View Post
Like was quoted from Whiting and Bernosky, shoot STANDING... not offhand. Offhand went away long before I started in 1981.
Now it's just called awful hand where I shoot. Offhand never went away, it's just called something different, LOL and "standing" ain't any easier unfortunately.

The best advice to better your standing scores is to research and use proper technique then spend hours of dry fire practice with your rifle to develop the muscle tone, trigger discipline and position awareness.

Last edited by lapriester; 05-22-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Shooting standing well is hard, yet good shots are simple. You really have to work with your position and rifle balance and see how it affects your wobble. If your position is bad or your gear isn't set up right for YOU, practice isn't all that helpful. Consider everything from the angle of the footbed of your shoes to whether or not you have a beer-belly and how that is affecting your body-rifle CG. All of this affects your ability to stabilize the rifle. Once you have a wobble that is tolerable, it's time to launch bullets. Then, you have to get this wobbled centered on the x ring and break a proper shot. You can check your wobble doing hold exercises. Your looking for brief periods of ten ring wobble. Rifles are not shotguns and rapid movement of the sight picture will ruin good trigger control and create bad habits. Work on your hold before complicating it with trigger control.

If you can get on an electronic trainer this will really help to see your wobble and how it is affected by the trigger break.

Best piece of advice about shooting well at matches... There will always be a group of people that sit around and complain about why their scores suck. "I couldn't concentrate, I can't shoot offhand and my position wasn't stable, I had elevation shots in prone, the wind changed and I shot an 8..." It's like they think that they are a good shooter and have to make excuses why they didn't shoot well. It never ends with these people, and they will never win. When folks start taking about why they suck, walk away and don't listen to them. If you shoot anything other than an X, YOU could've made a better shot. Find the folks with this attitude, and listen to them only.

You need to get to the point where you know what an X is and you know how to shoot one, all positions. Then, you have to decide to shoot them.

Last edited by WindLogik; 05-22-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:43 PM

Practice is critically important. Without it and what it physically and mentally develops you will never become a decent standing position shooter. You'll remain a 70's or less shooter forever. Matches are won and lost due to proficiency or lack of it in that position alone.