Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2022, 09:46 PM

The Marines originally rejected him because he was too short. Later they dropped those requirements. Truman was 5' 9" and he appeared to be 2-3 inches shorter. He didn't know what the meant when he received it. Later he saw a memorial to two guys that gave him covering fire when he took out the Jap bunkers and then realized he was wearing the medal to honor him.

I saw an interview over the weekend where he mentioned this. A great MOH representative
Old 07-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltfed View Post
Not to take away the courage of Mr. Williams’s and what he did, but it’s not the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is simply the Medal of Honor. Why do guys keep getting it wrong? The way I understand it, the military decides to award the metal, not Congress.
Ditto: Congress has absolutely nothing to do with the Medal of Honor, period.

I don't know where this started from but Congress is nothing ... The Medal must go thru rigorous up thru the chain of command to be awarded. What I don't understand is after fifty years or more a MOH is awarded after fifty or more years. A Marine received a MOH several years ago after 55 years. Killed many NVA with his Kbar as they came down a pathway on at a time.

Thank you in advance: Junnie
Old 08-11-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
I thought CMOH and MOH are the same?
The proper name for the highest military award is the Medal of Honor but when you see someone write or hear them say, CMOH, you know they are referring to the "Medal of Honor".
Old 08-11-2022, 03:31 PM

https://mohmuseum.org
Old 08-15-2022, 12:54 PM

Just to point out it is not incorrect to call the medal the CMH. I’ve personally known two recipients and they were proud members of the CMH Society. And a point of correction, nobody “wins” a CMH. They are in receipt of it. Recipients would be the first to say that the “won” it. I was in charge of putting together a Marine Corps Birthday Ball in 1994 whose theme was “The Congressional Medal of Honor”. We had close to 29 recipients as guests as I recall. I was schooled up on what was correct and wasn’t concerning “winning” the CMH. Basically got my ****** chewed. Only made that mistake once.