Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2017, 11:45 PM

I just learned something about sling length tonight!
I had a nice long phone conversation with Les Tam in Hawaii, who I had emailed several days ago to see if he was still making his custom competition slings. He called me tonight, 7:00 p.m Florida time which is 2:00 p.m. Hawaii, I was glad to hear he is. Extremely nice gentleman, and very thorough in his questions on what I wanted in a rifle sling from him. I told him my height and weight, 5' 10" / 200 lbs. I told him I wanted to order 2 of his slings, one for the M1 and one for a NM AR. He told me this, "For the M1 with your size, you need a 50-51 inch sling and the longest I'd advise is 52". For the AR he said a 55" sling, as the swivel is farther forward. I was thinking I wanted 54 inch slings for both, but I'm not going to second guess his expert determination, so that's what I ordered. I had also told him I'm currently using a 54" Ron Brown. He chuckled and said, "I taught him how to make slings!" Anyway, I'm stoked to be able to have a couple of Les's slings, at 76, he said he's not sure how much longer he'll be making em. The wait time for his work is 18 months, he calls when slings are ready and then send payment. A very kind gentleman, and I can't wait to have his slings that I've heard so many great things about.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 AM

I just hope you don't regret buying shorter. Much depends on your shooting style, the way you shoot in position and the way you rig the sling. That's the reason it's best to go long. Not all 5'10" people are built the same and changes happen quickly as you age making an expensive sling that's meant to last several years into a relic in just a couple. Over the last 3 years I've had to adjust mine (longer unfortunately :-)) more than once. Rig the sling the Ray-Vin way and that extra length becomes critical.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
I just hope you don't regret buying shorter. Much depends on your shooting style, the way you shoot in position and the way you rig the sling. That's the reason it's best to go long. Not all 5'10" people are built the same and changes happen quickly as you age making an expensive sling that's meant to last several years into a relic in just a couple. Over the last 3 years I've had to adjust mine (longer unfortunately :-)) more than once. Rig the sling the Ray-Vin way and that extra length becomes critical.
Larry, do you have a link to the Ray-Vin way?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldloader View Post
Larry, do you have a link to the Ray-Vin way?
Here for leather slings

Here for web slings
Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post

Is that the way appleseed teaches? Thats the way i was taught. Never knew any other way.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM

I shoot highpower. I think that longer is better. I have Tam slings and Brown slings and they are all 54" or 56". If the sling is slightly long, it just means that the tail is a bit longer between the straps. I really don't like my adjustment to be on the last hole, so I'd just go long, personally.

The quality of both the Tam and Brown slings is outstanding. I think Tam is winding down when it comes to sling making...
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Well for everyone waiting in suspense I ordered a 56" from Turner. I appreciate everyones advice!

Tags
height, leather slings, sling, weight