Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2017, 11:10 PM

Default BSW mark on BNZ 4 K98. Is this meaningful?

I have this totally mismatched "BNZ 4" K98. It has a BSW logo on the right side of the receiver, and no lightning bolt runes that I have found. Any idea what the "BSW" means? I have not yet seen a photo of another like it. Is this rare?

https://goo.gl/photos/GjGrdBgHm4dBxrYh6
Old 07-01-2017, 12:48 AM

Not a K98 guy but........... my guess is you have an early (pre-war) Berlin-Suhler-Waffen und Fahrzuegewerke rifle that was for some reason scrubbed of its original markings and reused by BNZ.
The hint is the Weimar and not Nazi proof besides the BSW marking........ but I could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Spare parts receiver later fed into production.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanks guys.

The concensus here and elsewhere is that this K98 was a either a rework of a Gew98 or a spare part. It's been called "an interesting rifle" by some folks, but not much more than that. The fact of the matter is that it is a mismatched, reworked capture rifle, and an abused firearm. I was lucky enough recently to find one bolt in a pile of 18 spares that would pass headspace on a field gauge, only to find that it is not a consistent nor accurate shooter. I have been told that it's a wall hanger.

I had arranged an appointment to trade the K98 today. I got some cold feet late last night, and posted here and elsewhere to get a feel for whether trading this K98 away would be a mistake. In the end, I did trade it for a VZ 98/22 today. I think that the 98/22 I brought home is a better firearm than the one it replaces and will be more capable of placing bullet holes close together on paper targets at various distances.

I am very pleased with my "new" rifle, and hopefully the K98's new owner is pleased with his. Now.. the gnawing feeling that my modest collection is missing a K98....

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Tags
bnz, bsw, k98, mauser