Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Default Model M16 Replacement Bayonet on Enfield?

I have recently identified my Civil War bayonet passed down in the family to be a Springfield Model M16 Replacement Bayonet (See http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/usm1816.htm). Problem is that my ancestor's Union Civil War regiment was outfitted with the English Tower Enfield .577 cal rifle. Does anyone know if the Springfield Model M16 Replacement Bayonet would fit on a Tower Enfield?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 PM

Do not know about the originals, but the modern day reproductions are interchangeable. I suspect the originals were as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM

Let me clarify my above response: The reproduction bayonet for the .577 cal. 1853 Enfield will fit the U.S. .58 cal. Springfield. Not quite sure what you mean by M16 Springfield. If you are meaning the earlier model .69 cal. U.S. Springfield, it will not fit.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks Henryseale. If you check that link in my first post - that is the bayonet I have. Question is would it fit on the Tower Enfield? I have measured the inside diameter of the bayonet to be 27/32" (0.84"). Question is would this fit over the barrel of a Tower Enfield. I do not have a .577 Enfield to check it on...if someone does, could you measure the outside diameter of the end of the barrel?

Tags
bayonet, enfield, m16, replacement