Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2019, 12:11 AM

Default Just an observation

I have only shot in two matches so far so take it for what itís worth, bout .02$
Mark says the cmp emphasis is / should be on the youth, and I agree but from my limited observations it seems to be lacking, and needs some attention, mainly from us as individuals. My kids loved the safs and would loved to have stayed the whole week of the Talladega 600 if we had all the right rifles / pistols for the job. Now here is where mr frugal shows up. I roughed out the numbers in my head what it would cost me and 2 or 3 of my kids shooting 3 or 4 matches with hotel cost, ammo, and thatís when my back got stiff and my pocket got tight. Match fees seem reasonable, they canít do it for free but the thought of roughly $900 to $1100 in expenditures is a tough pill to swallow. The way they give 2 hr range passes away when you buy a rifle, it would be nice if they gave a free entry at a d-day match or travel game. Maybe a kids first year or first 3 matches free. After that the hook is set and I believe you would see more young faces on the line. They have a way of reminding adults about what they want, and it would probably increase attendance. Judging by the people I have met the real losers in the match are the locals that donít attend. They have no hotel expense. May be more there than I realize, but everyone I met were from out of state. I invited a young adult to come with us, but looking back I should have told him he was going and I had already paid his way instead of just asking if he wanted to go. Just some ramblings going through my head.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 AM

Hello:
Is there a local juniors team you can join?
That would help with expenses etc........

Supporting the juniors has been done since I began shooting, to various degrees of success. Free stuff doesn’t change participation, instead a good coach and support system produces champions.
(Well and commitment from the kid.......)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:18 AM

G43 I totally agree that the first thing you have to have is the want to. Sadly in my area there is nothing the kids can join. Last couple years the 4h has talked about some sort of air rifle but so far nothing. Only reason I even showed up was the gca meeting and after that shoot a seed was planted. Closest thing to us is a 2 hr drive for mpsa matches/pistol or a 3 hr drive to Talladega. I just have to believe there are a lot of people out there like me who if they ever had been exposed to this earlier would be regular participants. This is a sport that can last you a lifetime unlike your baseball or football career. Wish I had been taken to a match as a teenager back when I could see and back when I reloaded.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 PM

The CMP’s Charter requires an emphasis on junior shooters and they do this by subsidizing clubs that support juniors and subsidized match fees for junior shooters. I agree that match fees and associated expenses are too high but that is true with all shooting disciplines. I have done the SAFSs and shoot Rimfire Sporter with all my children. Minimal equipment required and low-cost match fees. I think $15 per match at the nationals for Rimfire Sporter. A junior membership at a local Sportsmen’s club is $25 per year and allows my youngest to participate in the rifle program for only the cost of ammunition additional. Getting kids involved in shooting without breaking the bank is not easy but it is possible.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedwindshield View Post
G43 I totally agree that the first thing you have to have is the want to. Sadly in my area there is nothing the kids can join. Last couple years the 4h has talked about some sort of air rifle but so far nothing. Only reason I even showed up was the gca meeting and after that shoot a seed was planted. Closest thing to us is a 2 hr drive for mpsa matches/pistol or a 3 hr drive to Talladega. I just have to believe there are a lot of people out there like me who if they ever had been exposed to this earlier would be regular participants. This is a sport that can last you a lifetime unlike your baseball or football career. Wish I had been taken to a match as a teenager back when I could see and back when I reloaded.
You have a really awesome Project Appleseed group in Alabama. I've attended their KD event at TMP last year. Based on that event, I bet they run a crackerjack Basic Rifle which would be fun and relatively inexpensive for the kids!

I too wish I would have discovered the shooting sports MUCH sooner!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:

My advice would be to be the change you want to see. Have you looked into setting something up in your area for kids to join that might get CMP support?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 PM

Can’t say that I have. Would love to teach. Would hate the liability in today’s world.

Last edited by crackedwindshield; 01-13-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Canít say that I have. Would love to teach. Would hate the liability in todayís world.
Dont worry you just charge fees to pay for really good liability insurance.

Even if it was free entries for kids it wont really improve attendance.
Try starting a Jr shoot at your local club.
Plus if your kids do catch the bug entry fees are the least of your worries. Also when you and your kids really want to do something you will find a way.
Its expensive to do anything with your kids.
2 strings of bowling with 3kids is $50 that did not include food/fuel.
Another thing you can do is maybe find or start a local Jr. Group dedicated to going to perry.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 AM

Many great ideas have been posted. Your enthusiasm for the kids is great!

I would only offer that the kids do their part too. I've always thought it was good if the kids helped to support their hobbies. This could be individual or as a Jr. team.
In the Scouts (what a sad situation that has become) we generated funds to support activities and trips.
Sponsorships are always an option, as applicable to Jr. teams.

Vic
Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Dont worry you just charge fees to pay for really good liability insurance.

Even if it was free entries for kids it wont really improve attendance.
Try starting a Jr shoot at your local club.
Plus if your kids do catch the bug entry fees are the least of your worries. Also when you and your kids really want to do something you will find a way.
Its expensive to do anything with your kids.
2 strings of bowling with 3kids is $50 that did not include food/fuel.
Another thing you can do is maybe find or start a local Jr. Group dedicated to going to perry.
I hear you, but my local club if I had one would be 2.5 hours away from me.