Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Default M1903a3

Just purchased a 1944 Smith Corona from a friend for $650. He bought it from CMP back in 2002 but never did anything with it, still in shipping box covered in oil. I'm thinking it was a fair price but maybe not. Is it ok to use modern 30-06 hunting ammunition in this rifle ?. I'm assuming it is. Going to strip it down and give it a good cleaning..

Last edited by HarleyMan; 02-09-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:51 PM

Modern 30.06 ammunition should be fine in it.

I think you got a fair deal on your rifle. It is difficult to tell from your picture, but if the bore is in good shape and there are lots of SC parts on your rifle, you may have gotten a great deal.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Modern 30.06 ammunition should be fine in it.

I think you got a fair deal on your rifle. It is difficult to tell from your picture, but if the bore is in good shape and there are lots of SC parts on your rifle, you may have gotten a great deal.
Checked the muzzle end with a Fulton Armory .30 caliber muzzle wear gauge and it read #1 on the scale which is excellent for a used barrel. Barrel is marked with the date 10-43 so I believe it's original to the rifle. Going to disassemble it in a few weeks and see whats in there while giving it a good cleaning. Working on a M14 right now. Thanks! for the reply...

Last edited by HarleyMan; 02-09-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:23 PM

If the rifle was purchased from the CMP in 2002 and is covered with oil or grease, then it's probably a CMP Greek rifle. Virtually all of those are safe to shoot after you get all the grease out of the barrel and chamber. The current CMP price for an M'03-A3 (when available) is $649. So you got a fair deal.

J.B.